Best choice: MPC83xx or 440EP?

Good day,

I was hoping to tap into some expert opinions. We are currently deciding on a Host CPU to use as base for a whole range of products. We narrowed it down to two possible candidates:

FreeScale MPC83xx AMCC 440EP | x

Both offer similar features and cost. What I would like to know is if there are any issues with any of the above. Things like:

- Linux software support and tools - Weird little hardware quirks - Performance issues - General support and scale of use in the field

All those undocumented little features you run into when you start using a new device in anger.

Any feedback or opinions would be much appreciated!

Regards

Jan Reyneke

Reply to
Jan R

The project that I am working on uses the Freescale 8347, and I've never used the other part, so I can't really do a comparison per se.

There is a configuration in the Linux 2.6.17.1 kernel for the "Freescale MPC834x SYS" board. It didn't take us long to adapt that code for our board.

Read the errata sheet! But most of the uglies have been worked out since the rev. 1.0 silicon. Unfortunately, we've got 1.0 on our prototypes. The biggest issue is with the reset circuitry, but there are others. The only show-stopper that we have is with the USB ULPI issues, but thats supposedly fixed in all future revs.

None that we've identified.

Can't speak for the field yet, but Freescale's first level tech support sucks. Its an all-to-simple web based application that doesn't preserve text formatting and really makes communication difficult (yes I've complained). Why not use good-ole e-mail folks? Jeesh. However, once you get in touch with a real FAE, things improve.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
  and we never even know we have the key."
The Eagles, "Already Gone"

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1
Reply to
Michael N. Moran