Beginning PICs

I've used alot of different micros and never had problems with random resets. Only reason you might would be bad hardware layout or bad hardware design.

Messing with AVR fuses is trivial. Messing with PIC banking is a huge mess. Did I mention PIC have very poor support for pointers while AVR was designed for pointers. Very important to write an efficient C compiler.

The only free C compilers for the PIC are toys. AVR has free GCC C Compiler that is highly recognized.

Reply to
DirtDobber

I have seen an AVR (AT90S2313) survive that too. I also have discharged myself with a very unpleasant spark to a 8051 in operation. No problem either.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

This is one of the reasons I like the PIC when I design small timing critical projects written in assembly. The PIC is extremely easy to keep track of cycles, which is essential to my timing critical applications. I was always taught that I RISC processor was superior to a CISC.

Here is part of a RISC definition I pulled off the web. "Reduced Instruction Set Computer. One advantage of reduced instruction set computers is that they can execute their instructions very fast because the instructions are so simple. Another, perhaps more important advantage, is that RISC chips require fewer transistors, which makes them cheaper to design and produce."

I think it's important that when one states his or her preference for a certain microcontroller that they also state the type and size of project they are working on. I love the PIC for the size and type of projects I have worked on, but if I ever had to design a large complex project written is C or better, I would more than likely shop around for the best solution, which probably wouldn't be the PIC.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Magma

What they fail to mention is that there are 35 instruction *types* but by the time you multiply this by the various addressing modes you still end up with well over 100. Take your average CISC micro and factor the instructions by the various addressing modes and you end up with little more than 35 instruction *types*. So it's just pico micro marketing hype.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

But the addressing mode issue isn't the same for the PIC.

PICs only have one address mode: direct addressing.

So none of the postindexed address with a base offset type stuff is available on a PIC.

The only instruction variation is that a W and file-register based instruction can select either W or the file-register as the destination target. So the ADDWF instruction is directed addressed but can have either W or F as a target.

PICs have a form of indirect addressing. However, it is done by loading an address register (FSR) and then accessing the target (INDF).

So it is truly a RISC instruction set at 35 instructions.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

There is a free compiler from microchip for the 18f series look for the student version(free).

Jal is very good as well.

For a non free but "cheap" c compiler picant / boostc

picant was 16f and only boostc is 12f, 16f and 18f see

Avrs are pretty good as well. avr gcc / win avr - port of gcc for avr - free

If you prefer basic there is the demo version of bascom avr.

Both chips are cheap and reasonably easy to use.

Find a project you want to build and go for it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

This is a common misconception with ESD in which the device continues working but with a greatly reduced lifespan. Of course I've never seen any evidence that I've ever ESDed anything to death and I don't know of anyone else who has. Perhaps the device's internal protections are now good enough that ESD doesn't need to be worried about any more?

Reply to
Tom

If only that were true. I've spent several board spins on a recent project trying to ensure that it would pass ESD testing (15kV spark applied to all locations where a user's hand might be expected to touch the board).

Reply to
larwe

I suggest working backwards. Ultimately, what do you plan on making or working for? If your ultimate killer system will need 40MHz spped and

128K of program area, start learning a system that has a path meeting those requirements. If you need low cost, 8K at 8MHz then your options will be different. If you want to work for a company that use 68HC11s using C, then that is your starting point.

This is like when someone asks should they get a Mac or PC. It depends - what are you going to do with it?

Reply to
Allen Maroney