beginning arm

hi

i would like to purchase an arm dev. board to learn arm architecture an assembler and to improve my career prospects. I have previous 8 bit av experience. It seems that there are many suppliers and variants availabl from uk suppliers, atmel,nxp,farnell,etc.

can someone recommend a good general board that has many users an projects available thru the web and will give me more skills that are i industry demand. Price up to $300.

thanks Andrew

Reply to
a_edwards

le

A lot of people seem to use Olimex boards, FWIW.

Reply to
Mike Silva

I'm one of them. The Olimex board for the TMS470 was only $91, whereas the IAR KickStart kit was $500. The only problem is the Olimex board is just the board, whereas the KickStart kits come with a J-Link JTAG USB debugger box and a code-size-limited version of the IAR Embedded Workbench. Since I already had the compiler and the J-Link, the Olimex board was all I needed.

Reply to
Scott in SoCal

I'm not sure that this will meet your needs, but I just obtained a Nintendo DS, with a 3rd party memory expansion and micro-sd card interface, and put DS-Linux on it. There is also a C based library for native support of practially all the peripherals (libNDS), should you want to code to the bare iron without OS:

ARM 9 ARM 7 2 LCD's (1 touch screen) 802.11 2Gb SD card.

About $130.00 CDN at WalMart for a brand new NDS, and another 60.00 at electrobee.com for the expansion card(s) ... Just over 1/2 your budget, with a portable form factor. I'd say if you wanted to learn ARM, this is not a bad way to start. Lots of online info for programming as well.

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Reply to
spam

vr

able

Provider ----

corporate packages that have acce= ss to 100,000+ newsgroups- Hide quoted text -

The Embedded Artists Quickstart LPC21xx modules and prototyping board are very good value. You will need a JTAG interface, my DIY one is described in the LPC2000 Yahoo group files section and can be built very cheaply. The LPC2000 group is very good, I run it. 8-)

Leon

Reply to
Leon