Basic to assem. converters

Can anyone offer their opinion on the merits, if any, of programs
which convert PIC basic, or other "easier to learn" languages, to
assembler.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Basic to assem. converters

Sure.  What you're talking about are "compilers", and we've all
been using them for decades.  C compilers are probably the most
common sort used in embedded applications.  Back in the day,
Pascal used to be fairly common.  You'll also find Ada and
Modula-2 in use.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Are you mentally here
                                  at               at Pizza Hut??

Most Basic commands could be considered/replaced-by function calls.
And often it will make sense to make the function inline.

Most assembler stuff would be better off being C. C is just a high
level assembler anyway, and is easier to understand most of the time.
So maybe you really need a Basic to C converter?

Sean

Re: Basic to assem. converters
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:31:23 +1000, Robert Sterns

I would suggest they have few, if any.

If you're seeking to learn how to programme there are many
better ways to do it via a desktop PC.

Mike Harding

Re: Basic to assem. converters

This is my first time posting from my home machine instead of one of the
machines at Tech. Hope this comes through OK.

Absolutely essential if you need to do such a conversion. I think the
question that you are really asking is "What are the merits of easier to
learn higher level languages as opposed to assembly?"

The bottom line is that PIC assembly will have the largest user base. This
means that there are more folks who know it and can help out.

You've already given one of the best reasons for a higher level language.
They are easier to learn because they have less detail.

For PICs I would recommend that you take a look at JAL or XCSB. Both are
full featured, compile to efficient code, and have large enough user bases
to make them interesting. You can find them on my Cool languages for the
PIC here: http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/languages.html

But I still recommend at least getting your feet wet with assembly.

BAJ

Site Timeline