bake the IC before mounting?

I bought some AM186 and AM188 IC's. The caution note on the bag says if I use infered or vaper-phase reflow, after I open the bag, I need to install the IC's in 168 hours, if I don't store them in places with relative humidity of

Reply to
vax, 9000

There is a bit of moisture in popcorn kernels. Same thing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Google for the terms "popcorn reflow humidity" or similar for some lengthy explanations and a few nice pictures.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Except the AM186 won't taste as good, and you will probably have significantly more old maids.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Hi,

Every device has a moisture sensitivity level ( MSL ).... This outlines how long the device can be out of it's foil package, before it needs to be re-baked, to dry out the device.

A MSL of 1 means the device can be used without any baking, no matter how long it was out of the foil packet, not many devices have an MSL of 1.

The MSL rating is given to a particular device ( or probably more correctly to a particular package ) after testing, ie the device is soaked in a particular relative humidity, then it is sent through a re-flow process, then the packaged is analysed for any changes in the structure.

Optical packages are particularly sensitive to moisture, this is cause they don't have any quarts in the plastic. LEDs are know to some times "pop" due to the moisture expanding in the material.

In saying all that, you would only typically see a very small fall out due to MSL problems.

Reply to
David Powell

Friendly amendment

Usually the popcorn effect does not show up as a failure right away but as corrosion months or years later. ALso these small cracks can often not be seen without a microscope.

For any kind of product that you will be liable for, just make sure you use the open package in 168h

Schwob

David Powell wrote:

outlines how

be

how

  1. >

correctly

process,

cause they

"pop" due

out due

If they are not wet, I can't see how a little bit humidity

enlighten

Reply to
An Schwob in USA