Backplane logic and 3v3

Hi all,

We are redesigning some 3U/6U Cards inserted in a chassis where backplane is specified to be driven by ABT logic (74ABT245/244), the problem we are facing is that the FPGA on some cards has 3v3 only IO's tolerant.

Anyone here has got an elegant solution for interfacing +5V backplane (TTL ABT) to 3v3 device such as uP or FPGA's ? We have been looking for transceivers like 74LVC3245 but after carefully reading the datasheet it may not fit the ABT technology especially for driving backplane bus line and capacitive loads...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Habib

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

TI makes (and several second source) some good 16-bit byte-wide transceivers that'll do it. If you need to actually drive 5V onto the backplane, look at the SN74ALVC164245, which can do about +/- 24mA onto the backplane side. If you need more current than that but the backplane is TTL compatible (i.e. 2.4V is a logic high), then an SN74LVT162245A running from 3.3V has 5V tolerant inputs and will drive

+64/-128 mA. They make vicious VME transceivers.
--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order

Le 13/04/2011 18:34, Rob Gaddi a écrit :

houuuuu ! rrright !! thank you so much for the topic i'll see deeper those parts tomorrow.

Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet