AVR32 destiny or destination (Ulf Samuelsson RSVP)

It was designed as a companion chip for the AT91SAMG10 which is a 0.13u device using 1.2V core power. The AT91SAM9G45 would need a 1.0V core power supply. The AT73C246 design can be tweaked in the factory for this or other devices.

These designs are made in a 0.35u mixed signal process, which is very different from the processes used for the MCUs.

I have had development boards since early this year, and it is in production for the driving customer. The part is intended for multi-market applications.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

Thanks for the suggestion, but the 3A3 parts don't include an audio ADC and I can't find the AT32UC2A0 on your web site. Is that a correct number? The search function says, "Your search - AT32UC2A0 - did not match any documents"

Rick

Reply to
rickman

AVR

in

You might check out Freescale i.MX 233. It includes ADCs, stereo audio out, ARM 926 core, available in a QFP (with reduced features from the BGA), and fairly low cost. I haven't used it, but am considering it for a product refresh in the future.

Reply to
Andy

Sorry, It is AT32UC3A0xxx/1xxx

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson
These are my own personal opinions, which may
Ulf Samuelsson

AVR

in

Thanks, but these parts are the same with no audio ADC.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

eel

e AVR

reo

Is

CU in

ve

Hi Andy, I took a look at the Freescale part and it is pretty interesting. They don't give any power consumption figures in the data sheet. Actually, they don't give a data sheet in their data sheet. They have a data sheet that says look in a different document... isn't that strange...

Do you have any idea of the power consumption of this device? The size and price seem ok. It will need a flash device of some sort to boot from, but that's not a problem given that it integrates everything else.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

The reference manual has most of the usual datasheet stuff. As for power consumption, it's hard to tell - they don't have a good app note or spreadsheet and it's one of those devices with power scaling and clock gating options all over the place. I'd guess it's probably well less than 1W. I was looking at it for integration and cost, not so much the power aspect.

Reply to
Andy

That is way outside of the power budget I think. Currently I am using about that much for the entire board including the 12 volt powered analog. This part would roughly double the power consumption.

Thanks for the info. I'm always happy to look at new parts. This one has some real potential for a variety of apps I'm sure.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

roblem of mine. =A0

Not sure what your 'audio quality' means, but I see freescale have just announced an upcoming coldfire+ in 90nm, with 16b adcs and 12b dacs, and a not so common spec on the DAC of 6 sigma across a band of codes (whatever that is supposed to mean ?!)

They say prices start at 99c, but that's not going tobe the 16b ADC parts.

one quirk is you cannot have USB and 16b ADC

icleid=3D831640

-jg

Reply to
-jg

problem of mine. =A0

.

Sounds interesting enough, but it is only a single ADC. I need stereo ADCs and DACs. Also, they aren't planning production until middle of NEXT year!

I am currently using a separate CODEC which is small and cheap, but if it were part of a processor that was not much larger, I get the processor for free (in terms of board space). TI and ADI both make signal processor chips like this, but they don't let you get to the nuts and bolts of the DSPs. You have to use their canned processing algorithms with their GUI. Otherwise they would be perfect! It seems like I can get as close as I want to what I need, but there is always something in the way...

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Reading the responses to this question were really interesting. Thanks for posting it. It sounds like most engineers look at price, package, performance and peripheral mix when picking a micro. All things being equal, a preference for an architecture might end up being a factor - but the core shouldn't be near the top of the list. Atmel would tell you that, but probably not ARM.

As for the "infamous" Hitachi EOL notice: do you have a citation? Most every silicon vendor EOLs parts, and Atmel does it just like the others. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be much logic behind the EOLS, but there's usually a strong monetary reason for a supplier to make that kind of call. BTW, usually the EOL date is the last date to order parts - but delivery of parts are usually well beyond those dates.

--Vinnie

vinnie

Thanks noticing it, I am very well aware of ARM, but AVR32 as well, simply being long-time customer of Atmel parts, without intention to become AVR32 evangelist, but strongly inclined towards it.

What's particulary of interest to me, is attempt to, at least a bit, understand what's going on in Atmel menager's minds "these days", and how they position actually two competing architectures under the same roof. I would like to see AVR32 goodies like Java interpreter in hw and DSP instructions in the more distant future as well, not to become extinct as a lesser-strong specie, as a proof of strong architecture, and proof of insightful minds of those who are deciding the fate of AVR32.

No citations, just a bad taste of former Hitachi and their H8/3xx chips cca.

8 years ago. But, that was former company, IMHO today's Renesas is mostly OK, public and customer relations are fine, chips are fine too, tools has more sense for customers than ever .... at the moment, thou.

-- Stonethrower

StoneThrower

a problem of mine. =A0

..

Still a Horizon part, but I see FreeScale have yet another family... ;)

VANKINETIS

Data is sparse, but the block diagram shows ADC 16b x2 on the smaller ones and ADC 16b x4 on the Kinetis K60 (and 12b DAC x 2)

They also mention a 8/16/32? parallel interface, down to 64 pins, whilst many others only give parallel options on the monster packages.

If their PLL works as well as the LPC175x, it may be a better fit for a task we have.

The 16b ADC is nice, as is the SDHC.

-jg

Reply to
-jg

for

2

Three architectures under the same root: AVR, AVR32 and ARM. As a result, Atmel does not offer high end AVR or low end AVR32/ARM. Also, my personal observations with Atmel is that the price/qty curves are very flat. There are not much saving in 10Ku, 1Ku vs. 100 units. Other ARMs (TI/NXP) have more normal price/qty curves.

Reply to
linnix

With the UC3L, SAM3S16 you go down to 16 kB flash and 48 pins. This is about the same size as the smallest XMEGA.

I guess you are looking for 32 pin 4-8 kB then. From a cost point of view, the 8 bitters will be cheaper, so there must be a motivation to use a 32 bitter. Obsiously if you are using 1 ku/year, using the same toolset might be one. Then again, at 4 kB, even IAR is for free.

Best regards Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

s for

mply

VR32

how

.

I don't see this part on Digikey, so I can't really comfirm the price. Projected price would be around $2, based on the $3 64K SAM3S. However, the 8K LPC1111 is around $1.

Yes, over 100KSPS A2D.

I might buy a few hundreds, but the customer needs pricing data for

10Ku and 100Ku.

Reply to
linnix

The ATXMEGA16A4 can do > 1 MSample @ 12 bit. The AT90PWMx series offers 125 ksamples/s & 8 kB flash, so there are 8 bit alternatives.

Best regards Ulf Samuelsson

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

But they are around $2. It's hard to argue against the $1 LPC1111.

Reply to
linnix