AVR uisp and STK500 Firmware version

I'm thinking if you use the UISP programmer with the STK500 board for AVR programming, you may have run into this already (I hope!!)

I've been programming AVR devices with good success using uisp from unix (macOSX flavour) and using the STK500 with no problems. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of briefly using a PC with AVR-Studio on it, and it re-programmed my STK500 with updated firmware ( I think it went to 2.0a or something like that).

The result is now, returning to my normal setup, the STK500 won't respond at all to my uisp programming. HELP! This is a serious setback for me, as I really don't want to switch to AVR Studio when I've got a good thing going.

a) is there any way to revert to an earlier firmware version in the STK500 b) is there a switch for uisp to make it understand the STK500 again?

In my googling on the topic, I was only able to find one brief mention of this happening to someone back in Jan 2003 - and nothing else. Surely others have dealt with it and (hopefully) gotten through it already.

I'm using uisp version 20040311.

Rgds,

Ross.

Reply to
Ross K

I think that I recall seeing a method of "forcing" a firmware revision onto an AVRISP. Perhaps the same technique would work with the STK500? I don't have a link handy so you may need to search for it.

One place to look (that I seem to recall had a discusson on this) was the Imagecraft compiler mailing list. There is an archive at

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Hello Ross

You can down grade the stk500 firmware by connecting it to an olde

version of studio, which means you must download older studio install it and then try to programme using the stk500, when you wil be prompted with a message. I had done it more than once and it work

8)

Nayani

Reply to
Nayanip

Thanks for the info, Nayani! That did work for me, and I'm back in operation. Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if 3.56 would work for me, or if my board was originally older than that.

Interestingly, I tried Archive.org where their "wayback machine" keeps images of old websites. But alas, even though I could see old ATMEL sites mentioning really old versions of studio, the executables were not archived. Also interestingly I did find some polish site that had archived the full Atmel website (Tools included) and was able to install several old versions of AVR Studio. It was fun and entertaining to see how the tool has progressed, but (more boringly) the version 3.56 was what I needed it appears.

Thanks again,

Ross.

olderversion of studio, which means you must download older studio,install it and then try to programme using the stk500, when you willbe prompted with a message. I had done it more than once and it works8) Nayani P

Reply to
RossG