AVR IO (Olimex) questions

I want to build a simple controller that will control three outputs (AC) from three inputs. I could probably do this without using a Micro controller, but I thought it would be a good learning experience. I was originally going to build something more complex that could be expanded, but when I saw the AVR IO I thought it was the perfect fit. Although I would have preferred to keep the relays isolated from the control board with the AC sockets?

I have programmed in Basic, C (not lately), C++ (not much), some Assembler in a previous life and numerous 4GL languages. I've also done some electronics in the past, but I'm no engineer.

The basic logic for the app is as follows:

SW1 ON -> Run Pump 2 until SW2 On, Close Solenoid 1, Start failsafe timer (in case SW2 never goes ON) SW1 OFF -> Open Solenoid 1 SW2 ON ->Stop Pump 2 SW3 ON -> We've lost containment, so shut everything down and leave it off. Sound alarm.

If failsafe timer reaches 0 before SW2 come on, shut everything down, possible switch failure.

That's the VERY basics, I just wanted to know if the board will do what I want?

I'd also appreciate the basic programming steps, Create hex with Bascom, load it with JTAG? Any other bumps in the road?

Any better ideas for a simple development board. Any caveats?

Reply to
Bill Stock

I used the AVR IO board for light (incandescents) switching.

Works great.

The shipped processor is small in memory size so I'd stick with C, there a many many tutorials on the web, just google/yahoo your question, or visit avrfreaks.com the people on the forum are very helpful. You will need a method to program the board, I use the STK500 available from Atmel (digikey is a source). But there are other options available (omex has some).

Use the GNU C compiler. Learn how to use it, aga> I want to build a simple controller that will control three outputs (AC)

Reply to
rjames.clarke