AVR floating point speed

Can someone point me a web site or something... for information of AVR floating point speed. I guess that this depends also on the lib used.

I don't need exactly accurate info, but rough estimates for basic float operations like:

-32 bit float mul & div at xxx MHz

-any additional info is a bonus..

I guess that any AVR-uC will perform alike when clocked with same crystal...right?

Pygmi

Reply to
Pygmi

You could try the documentation of the avr-libc. Unfortunately, the savannah server is down right now, because it has been hacked. I hope, it will be back sometime this weekend :-(

Not exactly, the classic line (AT90Sxxxx) has no integer multiplier, but the newer ATmega-series has. So there should be a huge difference in multiplication speed between these.

/Jan-Hinnerk

Reply to
Jan-Hinnerk Reichert

OK, that's nice to know. Server seems to be still down...but i'll check it later. Thanks.

Pygmi

Reply to
Pygmi

I have a little test prof I run that times fp add, mult, div. I'm using imagecraft iccavr... 14.7456MHz mega128 does about 60K fp ops per sec.

Reply to
BobGardner

I have been wondering this issue and already asked once in this group wo. clear answer. 60 Kflops is probably more that I need...

If you have the data available, I would VERY much like to know the details for each of those separately. Even though you couldn't provide that info, thanks anyway for the info you have already shared with us.

Pygmi

Reply to
Pygmi

Hi if you look on microchips site you can find the times for floating point calcs. I know its not an avr but i doubt if there is much difference.

Reply to
CBarn24050

Considering the paucity of registers on the PIC (1 eight bit) I would be extremely surprised if the PIC could ever compete in speed. This is not a good machine for arithmetic.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

I second this. I'd be surprised if a PIC was half as fast (cycle for cycle) doing floating point math.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hi, it's a starting point more than an end point. actual time is data dependent so it's all approximate anyway. If the PIC times will suffice then he should have no trouble with the AVR.

Reply to
CBarn24050

//file fpbench.c //test avr flops //Mar 4 2003 Bob G ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com) compile w iccavr 6.27 //Jan 22 04 Bob G compile with iccavr 6.30

#include #include #include #include "math.h" #include

#define INTR_OFF() asm("CLI") #define INTR_ON() asm("SEI")

extern void init_devices(void); extern int _textmode;

//-----globals---------- long int n,i,j; float x,y,z; char buf1[1024],buf2[1024];

//---------------- void main(void){ //fpbench main program char c;

init_devices(); _textmode=1; c=0; n=100000; while(c != 'q'){ printf("\nfpbench Jan 22 2004 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com\n"); printf("\nbegin %ld overhead loops\n",n); for(i=0; i

Reply to