avr butterfly and jtag

I have bought an AVR Butterfly as my first step in exploring the wonderful world of microcontrollers, and have worked out how to compile and load programs into it using WinAVR, AVR Studio and the RS232 connection. And all for ? 30!

Now I want to try my hand at on board debugging. Do I just buy the JTAG dongle for ? 45 and talk through it to the Butterfly with AVR Studio? I can hardly believe it is that simple. Why does the JTAG ICE cost so much more? Am I missing something here?

Is there some issue with the fact that the dongle expects 5 volts from the target, but the Butterfly only takes up to 4.5 volts external power?

Thanks for any advice

--
Mark
Reply to

JTag ISP dongle can only program the chip, not debugging.

I can hardly believe it is that simple.

Jtag ICE (In Circuit Emulator) can debug the target.

I use two diodes to drop 5V to 3.6V to power the butterfly. The on-board battery is 3.6V, not 4.5V.

Reply to
Edward Lee epl

Are we talking about the same thing? According to ...

... it can do everything

Reply to
Mark Andrew