Automatically reset after freeze

I need to automatically detect when the computer running Windows freezes and reset it. I've found one product called watchdog, a pci card that does just that.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product or can recommend another.

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:16:20 GMT, "Gary" wrote in comp.arch.embedded:

Consider that there might be more than one PCI card that has watchdog functionality, and you didn't mention the manufacturer of the one you mention, it would be difficult to say if it is good or bad, or if some other manufacturer makes a better one.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Sorry. Here is a link to the only one I've found so far.

Thanks,

Gary

and

just

recommend

Reply to
Gary

and

just

Gary, once you realize that "watchdog" is the generic name for the functionality you desire, and google on "Windows watchdog", a world of interesting possibilities will open up to you.

Cheers, Alf

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Unbeliever

Alf,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It's so simple if you know what to search for.

Gary

recommend

Reply to
Gary

Not with that one but an alternative is to move to Red Hat, Suse or FreeBSD. I have one box with over 230 days of uptime, rarely crash a system and have never lost a byte of data.

Yeah, I know, people want to run Windows but putting bandaids on crippleware is just aethestically displeasing.

-- Regards, Albert

916.780.7623

Albert Lee Mitchell

I've seen an NT box running for a year and a half and was rebooted just because. It's easy to be stable when the variance in what is executed is minimal. I can crash a Linux box in less than 3 hours even today, playing games. Windows XP runs much more stably than this doing the same thing.

Also, I once saw a CPU lock up completely. This had nothing to do with the OS and any OS is vulnerable to this condition which is why there are watchdog boards for PCs.

Reply to
Dilton McGowan II