Automatically reset after freeze

I need to automatically detect when the computer running Windows freezes and
reset it.  I've found one product called watchdog, a pci card that does just
that.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this product or can recommend
another.

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Automatically reset after freeze

Consider that there might be more than one PCI card that has watchdog
functionality, and you didn't mention the manufacturer of the one you
mention, it would be difficult to say if it is good or bad, or if some
other manufacturer makes a better one.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

http://www.decision-computer.com/sonst/watchdog1 (e).htm

Thanks,

Gary

and
just
recommend

Re: Automatically reset after freeze

and
just

Gary,
    once you realize that "watchdog" is the generic name for the
functionality you desire, and google on "Windows watchdog", a world of
interesting possibilities will open up to you.

Cheers,
Alf

---
Re: Automatically reset after freeze
Alf,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  It's so simple if you know
what to search for.

Gary

recommend

Re: Automatically reset after freeze

    Not with that one but an alternative is to move to Red Hat, Suse or
FreeBSD.  I have one box with over 230 days of uptime, rarely crash a
system and have never lost a byte of data.

    Yeah, I know, people want to run Windows but putting bandaids on
crippleware is just aethestically displeasing.

-- Regards, Albert
AM Research, Inc.                  The Embedded Systems Experts
http://www.amresearch.com 916.780.7623

Re: Automatically reset after freeze

I've seen an NT box running for a year and a half and was rebooted just
because. It's easy to be stable when the variance in what is executed is
minimal. I can crash a Linux box in less than 3 hours even today, playing
games. Windows XP runs much more stably than this doing the same thing.

Also, I once saw a CPU lock up completely. This had nothing to do with the
OS and any OS is vulnerable to this condition which is why there are
watchdog boards for PCs.

Site Timeline