Atmel AVR32 architecture launched at Embedded

News from Embedded World News, Nurnberg 14.02.2006

Actel ===== Had no booth, but Actel-guy was movong around so I catched him.

Actel Fusion FPGAs: Delayed for 6 months. Do not expect Fusion silicon samples or starterkit sooner! Dont beg, dont ask - all Fusion silicon available has been allocated. This was really sad for me as I did order and pay for Actel Fusion starterkit already last year.

Altera ====== Stratix IIGX sample shipping: week12 (end of march)

65nm FPGA announced will be 2006 or in worst case "1 year from today" There was fractal-movie running on NIOS board with DMA coupled hardware accelerator. When I asked about the camera, then it was just a matter of selecting different application using touch-screen interface (KROS board plugged into Avalon slot) and the camera demo was running. I got a overshoulder bag with 12cm small ball inside, my 2 year old daughter Anna likes the ball a lot.

Atmel ===== AVR32 Architecture was launched, they had a gpraphical demonstration with real AVR32 silicon chip, well it was marked with code name "Morgan" and there was no actual info about any AVR32 'orderable parts' only benchmark comparisons that seemed to prove that AVR32 ISA beats ARM at 50% on all accounts.

STK525 starterkit (with AT90USB1286) was on display priced 200EUR is immediatly available.

AT90USB1287 - real nice chip is also available that is distributors must accept orders as order entry from Atmel is open - so if your disti says AT90SUB1287 is not orderable then the disti has not up-to-date info.

USBKEY Demo board costs 30USD and is based on AT90SUB1287 I did see it working at the booth - this board is not immediatly avaiable as there are 20 of them manufactured as of today (2 of them being at embedded) but it should be orderable and should be shipping shortly as well.

Lattice ======= On my inquirey: "LatticeSC sample silicon is it available today?" the anser was yes. But asking that a few more times the anser changed to 2006 Q2, meaning that samples for SC25 may or may not be available immediatly. LatticeSC evaluation board (with SC25) is however defenetly available immediatly on a 'loaner' basis. Its a nice board with PCIe 8 channel edge connector and lots of SMAs. The question is SC25 suitable for 8 Lane PCIe did not got full answer, should be yes, but well no we dont have it tested and working in 8 lane configuration. The first chip available is SC25 in 378 package then SC25 in 484 and then if I am not mistaken SC80

Both LatticeSC and ECP2 devices are supporting multiply configuration loading from industry standard SPI serial flash.

ECP2 pricing is 50% of ECP, so smallest ECP2 has an pricetag of 3 USD. Smallest members of ECP2 family are however last on the roadmap the first member to be available is the largest ECP2-70 with smallest ones following.

Pricing rule: ECP2: 0.50$ per 1K LUT SC: 3.0 USD per 1K LUT

Nec === World smallest microcontroller was presented with a demo on credit card sized PCB, the IC is in 1.9mm by 2.2mm Chip Scale BGA package those requires less PCB area then MicroChip SOT23 micro what was smallest micro so far.

PLDA ==== Supreme technical knoweledge! Was really nice talk. They had PCIe demos for both Altera and Xilinx based boards. On my request they also did online live demo of working 8 lane PCIe solution using a Altera Stratix-II board with 2 PMC 4 lane PHYs. PLDA 8 lane solution has been integrated into customer products (also with 2 10GBe interfaces

- using PMC phy and Altera FPGA). A new 8 Lane board with Genesys PHYs and Xilinx Virtex4-LX will be available in June and is targetted to pass PCIe compliane at plugfest in July.

SiLabs ====== A girl handed me some invitation to "USB and Industrial Connectivity Seminar" At first I refused to take, it, but then asked what does it cost - 99EUR, well I still refused to take the leaflet and made a very pissef off face saying "I tried to purchase the Toolstick but wasnt able to get it". "Do you want one right now?" she asked me. "Yes". At the end she ended up taking it from the booth from behind the glass. And I did take the seminar ad as well, here are links to the seminars:

at azzuri link there is picture of what you get free of charge at the seminar I list the items here (as it not clear from picture)

1) Bag and some books 2) ToolStick (value 10.99 USD) 3) USB FM Radio (no purchase possible) 4) C8051F340 Development kit (value 99$ USD) 5) CP2201 Evalution Kit, no info ??? what is it? there will be refreshments served.

Silica ====== They had 1 piece of Xilinx Spartan3e starterkit at the booth. It did blink some LED's. If Silica's stock is 1 piece it means that as of today they are not yet shipping. Well shipping should start any day form now I guess. Both my youngest have now a ass-sledge with Silica logo, hopefully there will be some snow around to check them out.

Simple Solutions ================

3 new Spartan3e based modules! All of them use parallel flash and multiboot feature. The 500e based modules are shipping now the 100e based module will be shipping very shortly.

TI ==

20 USD USB development tool for MSP430 Similar to SiLabs toolstick, but the 'target' module can be removed from the main part (TUSB3410 based)

TQC === Spartan3-1500 based module with MicroBlaze uClinux and MicroWindows demo

Vmetro ======

8 Lane PCIe protocol analyzer was advertized with 1 Lane version available at the booth

Xilinx ====== EDK 8.1SP has DDR2 support included and is targetted for release on FEB 20. For V4 MGT there was absolutly no commitment of anyavailability date at all.

To have a rest I did sit down for a live presentation. To my left an old guy with all-white hair possible having a rest as well, to my right was I think not a visitor. That was the audience. "Who has used PPC?" the speaker asked me for intro, I pulled a DIP40 form factor board with Virtex-4FX12 (see

from my pocket as answer :) The presentation was about 'how to gain Ghz performance with the V4 APU'. I think I learned it:

300MHz multiplied by 17 is 5.4 GHz! That was the claim of the speaker. For sure it got 2 heads turning, I looked at the old man to the left and it was "What !?" on his face. Oh well I wasnt so good at simple math at scool. After that EDK was claimed to support PicoBlaze, what is not true. And it was also claimed that PicoBlaze can only be programmed with Assembler what of course is also not true. After that a comparison was done for pricing Virtex4-FX: 35 USD 2.4GHz pentium CPU: >100USD as a clear win for Xilinx. Hum at what qty does V4FX silicon cost 35 USD? And what does a cheapest 2.4GHz pentium class CPU cost at the same volume? Well that is something I do not know the answers.

After the presentation I looked around to see faces I know or products I dont know, but did not see any. Pitty.

Antti Lukats

PS my best gift item prize goes to perforce

for a real balsa-wood model air-plane

Reply to
Antti