AT90S2313 TO PC

Can some please tell that if this circuit is right to communicate between pc and AT90S2313

I have tested my max232 circuit with loop back in hyper terminal. That works fine.

When I connect RXD and TXD to AT90S2313 and I press 'enter' or 'space' noting happens.

I have even tried 1 or 2 downloading software too. Those software can not see AT90S2313 attached to serial port.

Please help.

Again

ilogics

How do you progam it, what complier etc? see page 60 in the data sheet

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Thanks martin.

I was just checking the connection till now. Can you please tell me any compiler or IDE too.

I took circuit above from internet and it stated that this was enough to test you code. So I just assume I would be enough to get me started.

Thanks

Reply to
ilogics

No. You need RS-232 level translators.

Depending on your luck, you may have destroyed the port bits, or not - the RS levels go also negative and the processor does not feel good with negative inputs.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

You have just started on a long climb uphill :-) I suggest here

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

A Max-232 is a level translator. He mentions this on the schematic. His drawing may not be fantastic, but he actually scrubbed out "RS", and replaced it with "MAX.

I think he may be missing some software in the micro.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World's smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Tauno Voipio I have max232 level converter attached to the circuit. I have tested 232max with hyper terminal/oscilloscope. It is working fine. I did loop back too.

Martin I will go through all those links you have sent me. I was just wondering now that even at minimal level my pc could see AT90S2313. I was wondering If AT90S2313 sends some bytes back on its TXD pin upon start up.

Don Do you think my primitive circuit can be used with any software? I mean hyper terminal/ AVR studio any thing?

Or I should modify circuit.

Thanks

Reply to
ilogics

Not until you program the AT90 to do something, it will just sit there doing nothing, a bit like a car without the driver, with the engine running

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

In addition, tne OP might also need to jumper RTS to CTS and DTR to DSR on the PC side of things. If I recall correctly (perhaps not, as I avoid using Hyperterminal whenever possible), Hyperterminal defaults to requiring proper levels on CTS and DSR before it will engage.

See

and many others for info.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I still use terminal.exe from win98 (i think), instead of hyperterminalisbad but it sucks by running my laptop (XP) at 100% all the time.

Any fixes?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Yes, use TeraTerm. Free for download, including sourcecode if you like. Darn good and simple terminal program.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Try Tera Term

Reply to
Arlet

I also like uCon (after getting used to it), which is free somewhere in the middle of the following page:

They write: "uCon is a nice replacement for HyperTerminal... it provides basic services typically used during embedded system development... TFTP client/server, DHCP server, serial command scripting, and even a terminal server that allows you to access the PC's serial port remotely via telnet. It is a major superset of HyperTerminal."

It's free.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Thanks guys

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

So I understand that I need a programmer to burn the code on AT90S2313 then take it off the burner/programmer and put it in the circuit.

Can some one suggest a burner/programmer for AT90S2313 Please.

Thanks.

Reply to
ilogics

aha! we finally got to the bottom line. no code in the chip. :-)

have a look at: "Newbies Start Here"

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World's smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

sorry Don, that was obvious from the first post, but I was going to recommend kitrus123 from you, what do you think?

Havent used mine for some time

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I used to strongly recommend Com 7.6 from

Not free but it runs well on all post-3.1 Windows machines and has some nice features. Unfortunately, it's been frozen in place for a bit more than two years; the last sighting of the developer on his support forum was back in '04.

Still, it's reasonably priced at $25 and has a free trial period.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

that kit is not for AVR chips. have a look at the others listed at:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Micro,TTL,USB to 1.5" color LCD http://www.dontronics.com/micro-lcd.html
USB,RS232 or TTL to VGA Monitor http://www.dontronics.com/micro-vga.html
World's smallest USB 2 TTL Conv http://www.dontronics.com/micro-usb.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Attention people!!

Is this good choice for me(newbie) ?

It can program AT90S2313 through arv studio plus has connectors to do things.

Reply to
ilogics