AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C

Has anyone here got any experience with these chips? I'm looking into trying
to make a Compact Flash mp3 player using:-

1. AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C - Microcontroller with MP3 decoder, DAC and
amplifier, as well as compact flash interface and USB facility to update
firmware - http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id35%27
2. Nokia 3310 Display (Philips PCD8544) - 84x48 B/W screen -
http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/nokialcd.htm
3. 5way Joystick -
http://www.jelu.se/shop/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id93 %
4. LTC3429 - Boost Convertor -
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,P2346&action=viewall

However, I'm finding several problems. Firstly those microcontrollers seem
completely unavailable from any shops because they're completely new, also
they don't have a development kit yet. Another problem will be their
package, BGA100 and I can't seem to find any applicable adapters for this.

Any thoughts, comments, answers? Thanks in advance

Pete

Re: AT89C51SND2C / AT83SND2C

trying
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,P2346&acti
on=viewall

Are you sure you want to make this? For not too much money you can buy a
complete mp3 player that's likely much smaller that what you can achieve, at
least not for the same money. It will save you a lot of hassle I think.
You can't really mount BGA's yourself, and you need a fine line multilayer
PCB (e.g. expensive) to even get it routed in a reasonable space. Getting
hold of these chips will be difficult, especially as a private person. And
they will be expensive.

Have you looked into the SND1? This one comes in a TQFP144 package I
believe, which is far easier to work with.  I have a little player with this
chip and a development kit; though I don't have any experience with it, it's
collecting dust in a box.

The golden days of DIY MP3 players are gone I guess.

Jeroen

Site Timeline