Assessment on Freescale Linux IDE & Dev Tools

I am considering Freescale i.MX processor for my project, and I happenily know the Freescale also supports Linux.

I would like to know what kind of IDE is typically used by developers of Freescale Linux, CodeWarrior or Eclipse? Does Freescale provide something similar to WindRiver Workbench?

Which Dev tools are typically used by developers of Freescale Linux to debug the kernel as well the user space applications? Are they good? Are they expensive?

If you have experience with Freescale Linux and their PDK evaluation boards, I also want to know how you enjoy your development experience and support from Freescale? Do you want to recommend them to others?

Thank you!

Reply to
Like2Learn

The huge majority of developers targeting Linux use gcc as the compiler.

CodeWarrior is Freescale's own compiler, debugger and IDE tool. It is probably possible to use it as an editor along with gcc as the compiler, but I doubt if many developers would bother.

Some Linux developers like an IDE, and Eclipse is one possibility (other popular choices are emacs and vim, which can be used as an IDE). But even when using Eclipse, it is normal to use a standard makefile rather than Eclipse-only make management.

I suppose most people use the kernel's own debugging tools - the tracing tools, kernel printf debugging, sysfs hooks, etc. There is also kgdb. People will occasionally use jtag-style tools when doing kernel debugging, but they are not much use except at the very lowest level.

Reply to
David Brown