ASCII converter Web page?

Has anyone come across a simple web-page based utility to convert text
into ASCII codes?

It's always been a bit annoying to stop and look up all the codes from a
table when coding, surely someone has made this easier for me....    What
I mean is, if I am creating a series of messages that my embedded device
will send over serial to either an LCD, or to a serial port, I take a
message like "Hello" and create a block of text:

hello_data:
   .db 0x48  ;'H'
   .db 0x65  ;'e'
   .db 0x6c  ;'l'
   .db 0x6c  ;'l'
   .db 0x6f  ;'o'

It would be nice if i could just type in the characters, and get something
cut and pasteable into my work.    I did arrange something in Excel once,
but now I try and run it and I need an add-in that won't load - the
hex2dec() function won't work properly, blah blah blah.

Any URL suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Ross.

Re: ASCII converter Web page?
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:03:56 -0500, the renowned

Most assemblers I've used will accept things like

.db "(C) 2005 Spehro Pefhany"

All I've used will accept statements along the lines of:

.db 'H'

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: ASCII converter Web page?

Sure. It's called an assembler.

Good grief, where did you find an assembler that does't
understand ASCII character and string constants?  You need to
ask for your money back!

I've been doing assemly stuff for 25 years, and have never seen
an assembler that couldn't do this:

  hello_data:  .ascii 'Hello'

The syntax varies a bit from one to the next...

[Well I wouldn't bet that the CDC-6600 assmebler did ASCII, but
it did know whatever 6-bit text encoding the system peripherals
used.]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I don't like
                                  at               FRANK SINATRA or his

I wrote one once :
http://www.ibrtses.com/products/index.html
http://www.ibrtses.com/products/ascii.zip

Rene

Re: ASCII converter Web page?

No need to look it up on a web-site. I use my Forth develoipment
environment to do things like that for me. Compile the embedded strings
from the plain text source and shove them into the memory array that you
wish to allocate for it (often with a character count as well).

This is the sort of thing you should be able to get your IDE to do with
ease.

Re: ASCII converter Web page?

Ahh, a little perl is a beautiful thing. It's a very efficient language,
but I'm afraid I've never used it enough to retain it any time I've
learned it.
Thanks for that, it works very nicely in Unix (Mac OS X) , I will use it
often, as I am happy in the unix environment.

Thanks also to the others who posted suggestions & URL's.

Unfortunately my AVR assembler (MacAVRpa) doesn't take the direct text and
convert it during assembly.  (But it's free, so I won't ask for my money
back.)

Ross.

Re: ASCII converter Web page?

That sounds extremely primitive.  I'd swith to the Gnu
assembler if I were you.  It's also free, but it's a
professional-strength assembler.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I had a lease on an
                                  at               OEDIPUS COMPLEX back in