armv4l-unkown-linux-gcc compiler problem!!

Hi, I am a newbie in the embedded system world. Currently, I got a
development board with StrongARm 206MHz CPU. I got the vivi and the
cross compiler and prepared to compile a bootloader for my embedded
system, However when I run the "make" command

/opt/host/armv4l/bin/armv4l-unknown-linux-gcc -I/root/cheong/gsl/linuette/vivi/i
nclude -I/opt/host/armv4l/include/ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fPIC
-fomit-frame-pointer -mapcs-32   -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float   -c -o
init/main.o init

as: unsupported option `-mapcs-32'
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

I refered to the cross-compiler gcc-2.95.2, it should supported the
option '-mapcs-32', so why I got such error?

Edward Chan

Re: armv4l-unkown-linux-gcc compiler problem!!
-I/root/cheong/gsl/linuette/vivi/i

The version 2.95 ARM GCC is obsolete.

Get a version 3 GCC. The code generation in 2.95 was a hasty
kludge and it contains several problems. IIRC, the code was
for apcs-32 anyway.

If you're running a Windows host, the generation and
setup of GNU cross-tools goes well under Cygwin.

Does your bootloader really need floating point (-msoft-float)?

The position-independent code option is also a little
suspect in this context (-mPIC).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: armv4l-unkown-linux-gcc compiler problem!!

Here "info gcc" says that -mapcs-32 is a replacement for -m6 on
older gccs.  2.95 is an awfully old gcc.  You might try for a newer
gcc, or try using the -m6 option.

Re: armv4l-unkown-linux-gcc compiler problem!!

Is it possible that gcc is invoking the wrong assembler? ('as' is the
assembler stage.) Try running your compile with the -v option to see.
Maybe gcc is trying to use the native assembler instead of the
cross-assembler.