ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?

We all know that the GCC is free for the ARM7. I'm new to ARM so I downloaded several GCC/CYGWIN packages form various sources. I'm wondering because of the variations. I thought GCC is a singularity?? Must I all test them?

The second question is if a development environment exists for Assembler and C which is much smaller than multi-megs GCC/CYGWIN ? I just want to write some small software projects. Is there a SMALL FREE SDK around? I'm dreaming of a 1MByte development system. Cannot see I'm the only one here witch that desire...

What's about a simulator or a simulator tool I can configure for ARM architecture?

cheers - Henry

Reply to
Henry

There are a bunch of different permutations. Not including the fact that there are many "standard" versions of the three major tool components, there are also different build-time options (specific ARM targets) and different runtime libraries that might be included; newlib for deeply embedded, OS-less targets, uclibc for ucLinux, glibc for arm-linux, a choice between insight or text-mode gdb, ...

I don't think you'll find anything significantly smaller than the gcc toolchain. The commercial tools are even larger. Why are you being so parsimonious with disk space? :) One thing you can, however, omit, is native cygwin(-targeted) versions of the compiler, assembler and linker (and debugger); some prebundled distros include those by default, for no compelling reason.

gdb includes a simulator, but it's only for the ARM core, not the peripherals. Really, the best way to learn about ARM is to buy the cheapest possible EVB and connect it up to a system running gcc.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Something real simple, see

for an ARM assembler. I'm running it on the PocketPC and it's only a 310Kb executable. Using some additional code (asmarm, disarm, debugger) developed by
I can write simple ARM assembly, execute and debug it (for the most part) right on the device.

Gary

test

and

dreaming

that

Reply to
Gary Desrosiers

Hi Lewin - Thank you for your effort. Once I had my first Mac booted with 400KByte disk and even havd a graphical user interface... Surely I can boot Win98 here. The C:\windows directory alone is 565MByte great and I don't have a factor of 1300 for efficiency boost...

To summarize: I (and others!) need a precompiled GCC/CYGWIN for the Philips LPC210x ARM7 running on Win98. At the moment I'm unable to configure it correctly. Surely I will need days to try all out and bug fix the make files, etc. I like the ARM for power and address space but the Atmel compact development system for the AVR is light years ahead ! In a matter of minutes one can simulate the first program and all for free. (Hopefully Ulf reads that :)

- Henry

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards schrieb in Nachricht ...

wondering

test

and

Reply to
Henry

Hi Gary - Seems that at least the Assembler at the geocities link is not fully implemented?

Can I run in on Win98? Or on a Mac (Yes, I have both - one for compatibility, one for fun :) Cheers - Henry

wondering

Reply to
Henry

Philips

The generic binaries provided by Macraigor are as good a starting point as any. Don't try to compile the toolchain on Win98; results can be unpredictable. I spent a lot of time wrestling it, against better advice.

Not at all! I suggest you download my example (Atmel) ARM makefiles/linker scripts/sample source and use it as a starting point. (I'm about to start work on a Philips-based project myself. I'll talk more about it when I'm allowed to). It should take you no more than an afternoon to get up and running on the new chip.

minutes

Well, it's basically impossible to get flexibility without complexity. It's better to have a tool that allows access to the complexity than tools which hide the complexity behind rigid simplistic structures.

AVR is a closed single-source architecture with tightly controlled proprietary tools. ARM - including Atmel's ARMs - is a partially open architecture, subject to a lot of vendor whim. And there is a lot more variation even within the core, let alone the peripheral set.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Hi, If you can spare 250 EUROs then Ashling can supply a low-cost evaluation kit (ASK-2100) based on the Philips LPC2xxxx. The kit includes prebuilt and tested GNU/Cygwin for ARM with example programs for running on LPC2xxxx.

See

The ASK-2100 kit includes an LPC2100 evaluation board with on-board USB ICE. The kit also includes a graphical IDE/Debugger and pre-built GNU ARM tools with Cygwin. The IDE/Debugger are time limited to

45-days, there are no contraints on the GNU tools. Also included are GNU example programs that run on the board. Contact me if you need further info: snipped-for-privacy@ashling.com.NOSPAM
Reply to
HG

Eeeek,

Charging for a time limited demo program in this manner is a precedent I would prefer not to have seen set. Looks like we've reached a new nadir in marketing of accessories to public domain software.

-- Alf Katz snipped-for-privacy@remove.the.obvious.ieee.org

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Unbeliever

in

It includes the development board, with a USB - JTAC ICE. Not too bad for $250. If it saves me a day or two, it is well worth it's money.

Its however not clear:

1) Can the ICE be used on other targets or just for the on-board chip? I'd like to re-use it when I build my first LPC board after experimenting with this evaluation kit.

2) Can the ICE be used without the 'expensive' IDE/Debugger software, I mean can it run from GDB using a supplied driver? If not, the kit would be worthless after the 45 days. Running a serial angel port for downloading is not my idea of fun.

Ashling, any comment on this?

Regards, Arie de Muynck

Reply to
Arie de Muynck

Thanks all for comments! I will try a couple of possibilities out... Cheers - Henry

Henry schrieb in Nachricht ...

and

dreaming

Reply to
Henry

No, the ICE is "part" of the evaluation board PCB.

The GNU compile/link tools will still run (i.e. not timelocked), however, for debugging your only option would be to "port" GDBstubs etc. to the board (it has two UARTS). We include a flash programming utility (not timelocked) that programs the on-chip LPC2xxx flash via the UART interface.

Rgds, Hugh O'Keeffe snipped-for-privacy@ashling.comNOSPAM

Reply to
HG