ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?

We all know that the GCC is free for the ARM7. I'm new to ARM so I
downloaded several GCC/CYGWIN packages form various sources. I'm wondering
because of the variations. I thought GCC is a singularity?? Must I all test
them?

The second question is if a development environment exists for Assembler and
C which is much smaller than multi-megs GCC/CYGWIN ? I just want to write
some small software projects. Is there a SMALL FREE SDK around? I'm dreaming
of a 1MByte development system. Cannot see I'm the only one here witch that
desire...

What's about a simulator or a simulator tool I can configure for ARM
architecture?

cheers -
Henry

Re: ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?

There are a bunch of different permutations. Not including the fact
that there are many  "standard" versions of the three major tool
components, there are also different build-time options (specific ARM
targets) and different runtime libraries that might be included;
newlib for deeply embedded, OS-less targets, uclibc for ucLinux, glibc
for arm-linux, a choice between insight or text-mode gdb, ...

I don't think you'll find anything significantly smaller than the gcc
toolchain. The commercial tools are even larger. Why are you being so
parsimonious with disk space? :) One thing you can, however, omit, is
native cygwin(-targeted) versions of the compiler, assembler and
linker (and debugger); some prebundled distros include those by
default, for no compelling reason.

gdb includes a simulator, but it's only for the ARM core, not the
peripherals. Really, the best way to learn about ARM is to buy the
cheapest possible EVB and connect it up to a system running gcc.

Re: ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?
Hi Lewin -
Thank you for your effort.
Once I had my first Mac booted with 400KByte disk and even havd a graphical
user interface...
Surely I can boot Win98 here. The C:\windows directory alone is 565MByte
great and I don't have a factor of 1300 for efficiency boost...

To summarize: I (and others!) need a precompiled GCC/CYGWIN for the Philips
LPC210x ARM7 running on Win98. At the moment I'm unable to configure it
correctly. Surely I will need days to try all out and bug fix the make
files, etc. I like the ARM for power and address space but the Atmel compact
development system for the AVR is light years ahead ! In a matter of minutes
one can simulate the first program and all for free. (Hopefully Ulf reads
that :)

- Henry

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards schrieb in Nachricht
wondering
test
and

Re: ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?
Philips

The generic binaries provided by Macraigor are as good a starting point as
any. Don't try to compile the toolchain on Win98; results can be
unpredictable. I spent a lot of time wrestling it, against better advice.

Not at all! I suggest you download my example (Atmel) ARM makefiles/linker
scripts/sample source and use it as a starting point. (I'm about to start
work on a Philips-based project myself. I'll talk more about it when I'm
allowed to). It should take you no more than an afternoon to get up and
running on the new chip.

minutes

Well, it's basically impossible to get flexibility without complexity. It's
better to have a tool that allows access to the complexity than tools which
hide the complexity behind rigid simplistic structures.

AVR is a closed single-source architecture with tightly controlled
proprietary tools. ARM - including Atmel's ARMs - is a partially open
architecture, subject to a lot of vendor whim. And there is a lot more
variation even within the core, let alone the peripheral set.

Re: ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?

If you can spare 250 EUROs then Ashling can supply a low-cost
evaluation
kit (ASK-2100) based on the Philips LPC2xxxx. The kit includes
prebuilt and tested GNU/Cygwin for ARM with example programs for
running on LPC2xxxx.

See http://www.ashling.com/support/lpc2100/index.html

The ASK-2100 kit includes an LPC2100 evaluation board with on-board
USB ICE. The kit also includes a graphical IDE/Debugger and pre-built
GNU ARM tools with Cygwin. The IDE/Debugger are time limited to
45-days, there are no contraints on the GNU tools. Also included are
GNU example programs that run on the board. Contact me if you need
further info: snipped-for-privacy@ashling.com.NOSPAM

Re: ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?

Eeeek,

    Charging for a time limited demo program in this manner is a precedent I
would prefer not to have seen set.  Looks like we've reached a new nadir in
marketing of accessories to public domain software.

--
Alf Katz
snipped-for-privacy@remove.the.obvious.ieee.org

---
Re: ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?

"Unbeliever" wrote ...
in

It includes the development board, with a USB - JTAC ICE. Not too bad for
$250. If it saves me a day or two, it is well worth it's money.

Its however not clear:

1) Can the ICE be used on other targets or just for the on-board chip? I'd
like to re-use it when I build my first LPC board after experimenting with
this evaluation kit.

2) Can the ICE be used without the 'expensive' IDE/Debugger software, I mean
can it run from GDB using a supplied driver? If not, the kit would be
worthless after the 45 days. Running a serial angel port for downloading is
not my idea of fun.

Ashling, any comment on this?

Regards,
Arie de Muynck

Re: ARM: Smaller SDK than GCC?

No, the ICE is "part" of the evaluation board PCB.

The GNU  compile/link tools will still run (i.e. not timelocked),
however, for debugging your only option would be to "port" GDBstubs
etc. to the board (it has two UARTS). We include a flash programming
utility (not timelocked) that programs the on-chip LPC2xxx flash via
the UART interface.

Rgds, Hugh O'Keeffe snipped-for-privacy@ashling.comNOSPAM

Re: Smaller SDK than GCC?
Something real simple, see
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hub/6461/arm for an ARM assembler.
I'm running it on the PocketPC and it's only a 310Kb executable. Using some
additional code (asmarm, disarm, debugger)  developed by
http://www.rainer-keuchel.de/wince/armasm.html I can write simple ARM
assembly, execute and debug it (for the most part) right on the device.

Gary

test
and
dreaming
that

Re: Smaller SDK than GCC?
Hi Gary -
Seems that at least the Assembler at the geocities link is not fully
implemented?

Can I run in on Win98? Or on a Mac (Yes, I have both - one for
compatibility, one for fun :)
Cheers -
Henry

wondering

Re: Smaller SDK than GCC?
Thanks all for comments! I will try a couple of possibilities out...
Cheers -
Henry

and
dreaming