ARM MultiICE 1.4 and gnu tools

Hi!

I want to port uclinux to a new ARM7TDMI board. I could borrow a ARM MultiICE 1.4 JTAG debugger connected to parallel port. Is it possible to use the gnu toolchain with it?

- Can I use gdb+ddd or gdb/insight for debugging with MultiICE. HostSystem: Linux (but I could use windows on a second PC if necessary)?

And/or

- Can I use the ARM sw tools and the MultiICE and use the debug files build by the gnu toolchain?

In some email archives I found hints about using arm-multiice-gdbserver from redhat and a remote debug connection.

What is your opinion?

Any other recommendations? I don't think I can afford the Abatron BDI 2000 :-(

Thanks

-- Dirk

I already posted this message to the the uclinux mailing list (and I will send it to comp.sys.arm)

Reply to
Dirk Dörr

Hi Dirk,

Please checkout our Chameleon POD product on

. Our Chameleon POD product can operates as the popular Macraigor Raven (max. 8MHz for TCK frequency). And as a wiggler too!

As the Chameleon POD is configurable over the Chameleon Programmer freeware, you will be able to use the Chameleon POD as a:

- Raven for all your ARM project - Wiggler Emulator - Xilinx Cable III for downloading all Xilinx FPGA CPLD - Altera CByteBlaster for downloading all Altera FPGA CPLD - and many more free configuration.

Using Chameleon Programmer freeware, you will change the configuration of the Chameleon POD in one second ...

As Raven is supported by all popular debugger software (IAR, Greenhills, xRay, OCDemon ...) and fully supported by GNU GDB, the Chameleon POD stay the lower cost solution over the actual JTAG Emulator market.

Our *ARM OCD ValuePack* is a complet debug solution for EUR159.-

Regards, Laurent Gauch for Amontec Team

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------- For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!

---- See

----

Reply to
Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

"Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch" wrote at news: snipped-for-privacy@amontecDELETEALLCAPS.com... ,

Thanks for the hint I will consider it.

--

    Dirk
Reply to

To some extent, an adapter like the "wiggler" could be useful instead. It depends on your preferences regarding expenses (hardware cost vs. development time cost).

That type of adapter is easy to build and cheap, e.g. using the circuit from

But support in gdb for that simple type of adapter is, well, immature. Be prepared to spend numerous hours... You could start with patches like those available in

Currently that's the best starting point that I know of. There may be more current or mature implementations of "wiggler" support for GDB (maybe in GDB 6.x?) but yet I'm myself searching for them ;-)

This project may be interesting for you as well:

A "new" board? Something interesting? ;-)

Kolja

Reply to
Kolja Waschk

"Kolja Waschk" snipped-for-privacy@20040117.ixo.de wrote

Thanks for the tip, but I will try to avoid this. I had bad experience with gdb + P&E BDM Interface. That needed a patched gdb too.

I don't like the multiice-gdbserver solution (MultiICE connected to HW, ARM MultiICEServer connected to MultiICE, multiice-gdbserver connected to arm multiiceserver and finally gdb and/or insight connected to multiice-gdbserver) but at least it doesn't need a patched gdb.

Yes, I think. But sorry, I can't tell much about it (not yet). It is for a customer and I don't have the order and not all legal questions are answered. I assume that the customer will publish the port when it is finished.

--

        Dirk
Reply to