ARM micros and UML memory requirements / training?

Hi,

although I am very familiar with ARM micros from different vendors, my knowledge about UML is EXTREMLY basic, well does not really exist ;-). In recent conversations with customers, the topic UML came up several times. There was a thread about tools in February and a longer thread about UML in embedded systems in Nov 2004, both did not address the limited memory available in single chip microcontrollers such as Philips LPC2000, Atmel SAM7, STR710, you name them.

Can somebody provide an idea what the memory requirements are when running a project that is UML based?

In general this is a sanity check whether I should look deeper into UML with embedded micros.

Thanks for your inputs

Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in USA

Huh? UML is a way to write specifications.

Your question is like asking what the memory requirements are for a project whose specifications is written in German.

Your question doesn't make sense.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!! Everybody out
                                  at               of the GENETIC POOL!

Just guessing: he must be thinking of tools such as I-Logix' Rhapsody or IAR's Visual state.

Reply to
Elder Costa

There have been UML to C++ case tools for years, and the "executable UML" movement appears to be steaming ahead (at least according to the executable UML folks).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

That would depend heavily on the CASE tool that you were using. According to the folks at Mentor Graphics (no I can't remember the subsidiary) you can customize their code generation to a nearly degree, so this is probably something you can control.

Your biggest problem will most likely be that UML, if it lives up to its promises, will allow you to implement more functionality per man-hour than ever before, and that functionality will be what's taking up memory.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Oops, another one who doesn't believe that you can use UML with codegeneration on microcontrollers. I created a simple blinky application in UML (Rose-RealTime in C) on a PIC 8bit micro together with a clock, a timer and a small real time executive and it was about 1,1 Kb. Currently we are using 'passive classes' only approach on Infineon 16 bit micro controllers successfully. These models are quite complex and by using code generation for statediagrams only, the programs are much more easy to maintain.

Check out the white-paper at:

It does make sense!

out

Kind Regards,

# Oce Technologies B.V.        name: Ton Janssen (3A60)    #
# P.O. Box 101                email: djan@oce.nl           #
# 5900 MA Venlo             Private: djan@home.nl          #
#                               Tel: +31 (0)77-359 40 97   #
# The Netherlands               Fax: +31 (0)77-359 54 50   #
  This note does not necessarily represent the position of
  Oce Technoligies B.V. Therefore no liability or
  responsibility for whatever will be accepted.
Reply to
Ton Janssen

I really appreciate all the answers.

Grant, I would assume you know a lot more about UML that I do and although a little surprise by your answer, I agree that UML is probably primarily used for specifications.

Ton, thank you for cleaning my record (not asking totally stupid questions ;-).

combining ARM and UML, provided by Willert, Keil and Philips. In case some German speaking guys want to know more:

As the result of your feedback I will look into more details because UML might be a multiuse high level description ofr specifications as well as complex software problems. Once I became more knowledgable I will try to provide my newly aquired knowledge to this group as well, needless to say, on reuquest only.

Thanks again, your inputs indicate it is worth the while start spending some time on UML.

An Schwob in USA

when

application in

timer