ARM JTAG debug tool

Hello I am looking for low-cost arm7 jtag debug tool and the software. CAn anyone recommend me? cost is very important.

thanks.

Reply to
Jack

I while ago there was a chap on this newsgroup promoting his product - called a "Chameleon Pod" if I remeber correctly. Having a look at the website at the time I was impressed, and I don't think it was too expensive....

I have never actually used one, so I can't vouch for it ... I use the Raven from Macraigor... stay away from them.

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon Berry

As long as you are doing your debugging under Cygwin, I recommend the Macraigor Wiggler. AFAIK it is the cheapest OTS JTAG pod. Of course it is a very simple circuit and you could build your own easily.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

... I use the Raven

Simon can you expand on this? I usually hear fairly good stuff about the Raven.

I use the Armulator from Arm and it seems to work well. Seem to remember it being US$3 - 4K.

--
Scott
ExoTech R&D, Inc.

The Wiggler works with the Green Hills tools, as well. I got mine from Green Hills with their demo tools for the Atmel ARM kit. Of course, if you can afford the Green Hills tools you can probably afford something better than the Wiggler. 8-)

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

The Chameleon Pod is from

I got one of these a few weeks ago and it has been working as a Raven replacement for me. I have used it successfully with Green Hills Multi and with the demo version of Macraiger's GUI Flash programmer. The Chameleon only cost a little more than a Wiggler -- It was much less expensive than the Raven. When the Chameleon is emulating the Raven it can communicate as fast as the Raven (much faster than the Wiggler).

We started with a Wiggler a long time ago. It was slow and less reliable than I would have liked (sometimes the downloads would fail). We stepped up to Ravens and bought several. They are much faster and more reliable than the Wiggler. But we've had one Raven fail over time and another is acting up.

Support from Macraigor has been hit and miss. On some problems they have been very helpful but on other problems they have ignored us.

If I needed another JTAG interface now I would get another Chameleon.

-- Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Kramb

The Raven as a device is great - it works well (although just last month one of our Ravens died )

My problem is with the company who makes them - Macraigor. Their support / response has been poor (to be kind to them).

I quote Arie de Muynck from an post earlier on in the year about Macraigor's support :

"We bought the Flash tool for the NETARM50 (ARM7 core, used in big endianmode).The tools did not work. After 4 months of e-mailing (with the English distributor where we bought the tool) I gave up. They kept repeating that work was under way, that McGraigor was just getting hold of a NET+ARM kit, etc. No solution came up. I pointed to the fact that most ARM drivers had a big and a little endian HEX file used in the download - the NETARM setup only had a a little endian. OK, thanks, we'll work on it... no solution, no further replies."

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon Berry

Anyone or any site has the schematics for wiggler? Maybe I should try to build my own. Also, what software should wiggler goes with?

Reply to
Jack

There is an arm 9 jtag project on sourceforge

Alex Gibson

Check out Antti Lukats' "One Dollar Dongle" in-progress book at

There are VHDL equations for the Wiggler, among other things. There are also schematics at
and some good information at

MacGraigor GNU software is at

Regards.

Reply to