Area and power

Hi, How is area of the memory that you use related to energy consumption in an memory device. So if I have two memory devices of same capacity, one larger than the other, can I comment on its energy behavior just based on the area.

thanks Shrey

Reply to
shrey

Not really. First you can only compare die sizes of identical technologies. And the power consumption is at least for the SRAM proportional to number of accesses. Meaning no access, no power. That means except the idle power which increases with decreasing feature size.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

But just the opposite for dynamic ram, where the refresh charge is proportional to the size of the storage capacitor, and the refresh rate is proportional to its leakage rate. This is pretty well independant of the power for actual access and use.

More details at:
Also see
Reply to
CBFalconer

But what abt its switching power ? Does that depend on feature size ? More area, is it possible they use more capacitors ?

Shrey Rene Tschaggelar wrote:

Reply to
shrey

I think that most manufacturers of DRAM have been using well and trench capacitor memory cells for a number of years. That would make any direct comparison of 2D area difficult or impossible.

Engineers use data sheets to determine energy consumption, not calipers (:

Please don't top-post.

Reply to
Jim Stewart