arabic font on LCD

I need to replace a 2x24 alphanumeric LCD with one that allow me to display
arabic characters. Are there any graphic display with an arabic font
embedded on the controller?

thanks
--
Mastupristi?

Re: arabic font on LCD

You can bit map them 1 at a time using the programmable characters.

Re: arabic font on LCD

The character-oriented LCD controllers only allow 8 custom characters,
which would hardly be enough.  You may have to just get a bit-mapped LCD.

I wonder if anyone goes to the trouble to make arabic-font LCDs.  For
that matter, is it possible to reduce that beautiful arabic script down
to a dot-matrix?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Here's a good resource on the Arabic Alphabet.  Looks like you'd need some
good LCD resolution to display the script.  Would a Roman alphabet
transcription be acceptable?   See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet .

Wayne

Re: arabic font on LCD
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:10:35 -0800

so I need a graphic display.
I wonder if there exist a graphic display whit controller that embed the arabic
alphabet and all the complex grammar rules.

Otherwise, I need to find a clever method to render the arabic alphabet on a
graphic LCD.
I must use 16 pixel high characters. There exist an internet resource where
I can find the arabic alphabet already rendered? Maybe bitmaps.

thanks

--
Mastupristi?

Re: arabic font on LCD

I doubt and LCD has grammar rules in any language.
A display is just displaying pixels and it up to the reader to
see characters in whatever lettering. Grammar as rules
above letters are way beyond the scope of displays.

Rene

Re: arabic font on LCD
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:02:41 +0100, the renowned Rene Tschaggelar

arabic

On the character ones, I think I've only seen European+Katakana and
European+Cyrillic as standard.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: arabic font on LCD

arabic

It is at least thinkable that in some other part of the globe,
others exist. A mere matter of the market size. How many ten
thousend per year can be sold.
I admit not to know how many different alphabeths there are.

Rene

Re: arabic font on LCD

You are allowed 8, but you can keep loading new ones.  Changing one does not
change the ones that are already displayed.  It is a lot of work to update a
display, but possible.

Re: arabic font on LCD

display

Many, many, years ago I had an almost identical requirement - moving from a
couple of lines of text to an LCD capable of displaying Arabic.  From memory
your first challenge will be getting accurate translations!

We ended up scanning in the text we needed to display as tiff files, then
writing a routine to display these on a graphics LCD (from an H8 as I
remember).  It was surprising just how high a resolution was required to get
characters that were readable (to Arabic speakers, not me!).  You will have
to allocate a much larger area for the display, or have very little
displayed at a time.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: arabic font on LCD

It might also be possible to define an adequate set of graphic elements that are
cut directly into the glass, much like is already done.  But it would take a
serious graphics artist familiar with Arabic to decide if this could be done
without using a high-res graphics LCD.  With what little familiarity I have with
Arabic, I suspect the task would be challenging, even then.  Some of the accent
marks need to be extended over pairs of characters and maybe even three or more.

I also seem to recall that numbers are rendered left to right, like English, but
that the text renders right to left, otherwise.  All this will make for some
interesting word processing work.

Jon

Site Timeline