Apache Mynewt: Community-driven, open source OS; first open source BLE for MCUs

A quick FYI for Apache Mynewt's 0.9 release...

Noteworthy is the world's first open source (controller level) Bluetooth Lo w Energy stack for MCUs. The first ports were to Nordic's nRF52 and nRF51. Specific to the OS with BLE (4.2), the open source approach has obvious ben efits to developers: access to source code; better debugging through settin g breakpoints, avoiding stack smashes, no stolen interrupts, etc.; direct a ccess to peripherals for granular power control; better, precise configurab ility of concurrent connections and flexibility across central and peripher al roles. The project aims to also have timely Bluetooth 5 support.

The OS is composable via a modern, Go-like build and package management too l. Components include secure boot loader, flash file system and TLV storage mechanisms, rich logging infrastructure, circular buffering schemes, and B LE! Scripting languages such as Javascript and Python is currently being wo rked.

The community welcomes your participation and feedback!

Reply to
pacebot3000

It looks promising except the Quick Start link is broken. So I can't download it.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

If I can be lazy and not wade into the info available but ask, will this BLE stack allow devices to talk to one another? I don't recall if BLE doesn't support that or if it was just some of the implementations I've seen that preclude it.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The orange "Click Start" link on the top navigation bar is working - please click on that for now.

Thanks for finding the broken link - will fix it right now.

Reply to
adh

:) Yes, it will allow devices to talk to one another. Two devices each runn ing the Mynewt NimBLE stack (BLE stack) can talk BLE with each other. A dev ice with Mynewt NimBLE stack can talk BLE to a phone or some other non-Myne wt BLE device. We have tested with iOS and Android phones, for example. Myn ewt NimBLE just successfully completed the Bluetooth SIG interoperability t esting in Hongkong last week. It will talk with BLE 4.2 and 4.0 devices.

Reply to
adh

That's pretty awesome!

--

Rick C
Reply to

Very cool! I wonder how hard it will be for me (or if it will be permitted) to extract just the BLE portion for our hardware work.

Reply to
Ron Aaron

You are permitted to take any part of the code and use it with any hardware :) Currently it hooks into the Mynewt OS with the host part using more of the core OS features than the controller portion. So how easy/hard it is de pends on what you want to do. If you want to use only the controller driver s for a certain chip then it should not be too hard. Feel free to reach out to snipped-for-privacy@mynewt.incubator.apache.org if you have any specific use cases in m ind!

Reply to
aditi.hilbert

You are permitted to take any part of the code and use it with any hardware :) Currently the BLE stack hooks into the Mynewt OS with the host part usi ng more of the core OS features than the controller portion. So how easy/ha rd it is depends on what you want to do. If you want to use only the BLE co ntroller drivers for a certain chip then it should not be too hard. Feel fr ee to reach out to snipped-for-privacy@mynewt.incubator.apache.org if you have any specific use cases in mind!

Reply to
aditi.hilbert

You are permitted to take any part of the code and use it with any hardware :) Currently the BLE stack hooks into the Mynewt OS with the host part usi ng more of the core OS features than the controller portion. So how easy/ha rd it is depends on what you want to do. If you want to use only the low-le vel controller drivers for a certain chip for BLE then it should not be too hard. Feel free to reach out to snipped-for-privacy@mynewt.incubator.apache.org if you hav e any specific use cases in mind!

Reply to
adh

Thank you. I'm sure it's not trivial, but it may solve one set of problems I'm facing.

Reply to
Ron Aaron