Anyone recognise this hex format?

AFAIAW AOL didn't have a Usenet feed until the early-to-mid 1990s. I first appeared on the Internet in 1991. Gee, come to think of it, I was on CIS too. That was a LONG time ago though!

Undoubtedly; but my wife doesn't come to work with me (as a rule), which precludes most of the amusements that spring readily to mind.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

I was on Compuserve for a long time, and tried Prodigy a couple of times, but didn't hear of AOL until later.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Usenet was around long before the Internet.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Just imagine you're
                                  at               entering a state-of-the-art

That is one stupid and hopelessly mismatched analogy. Give up now while you're not too far behind.

All you BPs talk about clarity and correctness yet you are full of ridicule and > Peter Jakacki wrote:

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

Yep. And all participants of Usenet who were around since before that colorfully remember the day AOL unleashed its entires mass of clueless newbies onto Usenet in a single instant. The phenomenon became known as "the September that never ended", after the smaller floods of first-year students around the start of university terms that time each year.

Back then, a common attitude towards AOLers was "Lord have mercy upon them, for have no idea what they're doing." It also was the root of the jargon "AOL!" referring to their rather stereotypical "me, too!" posts; arguably the worst type of useless, full-quoted, bottom-posted garbage ever let loose on Usenet.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Which one is that?

Even ridicule and insults can be written in a clear, correct manner.

The reason to do it the right way is to maximize the likelihood your writing will be read and understood. If you don't care whether you get your point across, you can side-post upside-down in Swahili for all we care.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Now that we're
                                  at               in LOVE, you can BUY

Here are some web pages describing social blindness: Most sufferers of social blindness exhibit do not exhibit the full range of symptoms described below, but all sufferers of social blindness exhibit some of them.

Antisocial Personality

-Failing to heed consequences

-Actively intrudes upon and violates the rights of others, as well as transgresses established social codes.

-Cognitively Deviant (e.g., construes events and relationships in accord with socially unorthodox beliefs and morals; fails to conform to social norms)

-Autonomous Self-Image (e.g., sees self as unfettered by the restrictions of social customs)

-Internalized representations comprise degraded and corrupt relationships that spur revengeful attitudes and restive impulses

-Acting-Out Mechanism (e.g., inner tensions that might accrue by postponing the expression of offensive thoughts and malevolent actions are rarely constrained; socially repugnant impulses are not refashioned in sublimated forms, but are discharged directly in precipitous ways, usually without guilt or remorse).

-Callous Mood (e.g., is insensitive, irritable and aggressive, as expressed in a wide-ranging deficit in social charitableness, human compassion or personal remorse; exhibits a coarse incivility, as well as an offensive disregard for others.

Antisocial Personality Disorder

-Pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others

-Failure to conform to social norms

-Irritability and aggressiveness

-Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt or mistreated others

-Harassment of others

-Blames the victim for being foolish, helpless, or deserving their fate, minimizes the harmful consequences of actions or indicates complete indifference.

-Fails to compensate or make amends for their behavior.

-Lacks empathy and tend to be callous, cynical, and contemptuous of the feelings, rights, and sufferings of others

-Inflated and arrogant self-appraisal

-Excessively opinionated, self-assured, or cocky

-Individuals with Antisocial Personality Disorder are more likely than people in the general population to die prematurely by violent means (e.g., suicide, accidents, and homicides). Borderline Personality Disorder

-"behavioral explosions"; are easily precipitated when impulsive acts are criticized or thwarted by others.

-Markedly disharmonious attitudes and behavior involving ways of perceiving and thinking and style of relating to others

-Maladaptive to a broad range of personal and social situations

Conduct Disorder

-Repetitive and persistent pattern of dissocial, aggressive, or defiant conduct.

-Major violations of age-appropriate social expectations

-Excessive levels of fighting or bullying; cruelty to others

-Defiant provocative behavior

-Persistent dissocial or aggressive behavior

-Lack of effective integration into a peer group

-Isolation from and/or rejection by or unpopularity with others

-Lack of lasting empathic, reciprocal relationships with others

-Relationships tend to be marked by discord, hostility, and resentment

-Rudeness, uncooperativeness

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

-A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior

-Actively defies or refuses to comply with requests

-Deliberately annoys people

-Blames others for his or her misbehavior

-Touchy or easily annoyed by others

-Spiteful or vindictive

If multiple participants in a newsgroup tell you that you exhibit the above behaviors, please consider the high probability that you have one of the above disorders and that your disorder is blinding you to it's existence.

Reply to
Guy Macon
[cut the crap]

there you go, plain and simple : only MORONS toppost

Pozdrawiam.

-- RusH //

Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

Reply to
RusH
[cut the crap]

let me put it plain and simple for you : only morons toppost oh, and moronic Outlook users.

Pozdrawiam.

-- RusH //

Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

Reply to
RusH

Evem Microsoft says not to toppost:

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.* Subject: [microsoft.public.windowsnt] Welcome - read this first! Last-modified: 10/26/99 Copyright: (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corporation Maintainer: snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com

... When including text from a previous message in the thread, trim it down to include only text pertinent to your response. Your response should appear below the quoted information. ... In follow-ups, whether News or Mail, CUT headers & signatures, PRUNE quotations, and preserve order. That is to say, quote above each part of your reply as much of the earlier stuff as is needed to put the new material in context, but no more; most readers will be able to refer to the earlier article itself, if need be. Never write on the same line as a quotation, except in lists and notes; generally leave a wholly blank line between. Do not quote the header or the signature, unless it is relevant to do so. ...

Reply to
Guy Macon

That's funny! Do they recommend not using Outlook?

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Sounds like some of the rabid bottom posters to me... this is a completely stupid arguement, I wish it would die.

Al

Reply to
Al Borowski

I remember back in 1985 or so reading a review of AOL. The reviewer used his credit card to sign up for a couple of months to try it out. After writing the review, he cancled the service. When he was still charged the next month he cancled again, and again, and again. He ended up adding that to the article.

Some things never change... ;)

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

have you considered the possibility that you suffer fron social blindness disorder and that your disorder is blinding you to it's existence?

Perhaps you can find someone you trust and have them examine your pattern of behavior.

Reply to

There is no need to hide Guy. Your familiarity with these social symptoms that you are freely attributing to others might actually be of a first-hand nature on your part perhaps? I will give you the benefit of the doubt however. This thread started off as a discussion, as it should continue to be.

Some people may find it difficult interacting with others in a considerate and friendly manner. Yes, it does require more effort but the end result is that NGs continue to be a forum for all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds. Each of us has something to contribute, be it small or great, and thus we advance.

Although we are all entitled to our own opinions, none of us can or should appoint ourselves as a judge in these matters.

@ . wrote:

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

That's what anonymous remailers and mail2news gateways are for. Simply changing the "From:" line is a way to hide from the clueless while not hiding from the clueful.

I merely raised the question. I am not qualified to make a medical diagnosis.

I make no judgements. I merely note the possibility that social blindness may be a reason for the observed behavior, and suggest that the person exhibiting the behavior consider social blindness as a possible factor.

The two symptoms that I have observed are (quoting from the previously supplied references) are:

[1] Autonomous Self-Image (e.g., sees self as unfettered by the restrictions of social customs) [2] Failure to conform to social norms.

As I said, I lack the training to determine the cause of these observed symptoms, but I have observed them, and they can be symptoms of social blindness.

Reply to
Guy Macon

We don't want to 'get married' just to read the public instructions; like with africans: you need to complete an elaborate greeting ritual before you can ask the time or directions.

This is a leftist-woosie cop-out. We are not equal. When you started school, did you tell the teacher that 'we all must sit around the table and negotiate'. In a given society, you drive on an uniform side of the road. Western language-texts write from left to right, top to bottom.

As with all classes of entities in the universe, their's a heirarchy, [of competenc] in NewsGroups: some NewsGroups have no top-posters [those used by technical competent users] and those catering for use by kidddies, who inevitably top-post.

Top posters should have their own/separate [a la apartheid] club. Perhaps the increase in mailing lists trys to achieve this ?

BTW I've seen a Microsoft 'mailer' which couldn't post other than top-post [perhaps it could be re-set]. But it's one thing to

*admit* being crippled, and completely different to try to justify acting inappropriately.

== Chris Glur.

Reply to
not

I am pretty sure, Outlook can be configured correctly. Only most people are just to lazy. (Ok, next question: Why is the default wrong ?)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (42Bastian Schick) wrote in news:40bc4e0b.267939376 @news.individual.de:

Outlook default puts your signature above what you are quoting, so, a decent newsreader that automatically snips the signature, will snip everything.

AFAIK there is no way to configure stock OE to post in any other way. If there is, I was unable to find it during the time I used it for posting.

--
Richard
Reply to

Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes with this automated fix!

Bottom vs. top posting and quotation style on Usenet

Why bottom-posting is better than top-posting
What do you mean "my reply is upside-down"?
The advantages of usenet's quoting conventions
Why should I place my response below the quoted text?
Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings

Guy Macon