Anyone recognise this hex format? - Page 3

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

I can't help but admire the clarity and lucidity with which you
got your point across, and encouraged the whole world to ponder
your viewpoint.  The mental efforts required of you must have been
prodigious and exhausting.  Maybe you should take a rest from your
efforts.

In case of misunderstanding, there is a slight tinge of sarcasm in
the above paragraph.

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century Simple solution

The solution is eliminate the context information in the message. Treat it like
a conversation. Makes the top and bottom poster fanatics happy because they have
no way to tell. I'm happy because all the important stuff is immediately
available in the
message box.

w..

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century Simple solution

The solution to what?

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
 You can't take the sky from me.

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century Simple solution
Top or bottom posting.

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century Simple solution
Yes

No, make that yes.

--
...The Bit Eimer     [remove keinewurst to email me]

"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

The "previous post in the thread" will be something different in different
parts of the world, and on different news servers. It is quite common for
example for responses to a particular message to arrive at various places
before the message itself.

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
 You can't take the sky from me.

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

My pet hate is idiots who argue that top posting is OK because "you don't
need all that context rubbish anyway, just read the thread", and leave the
ENTIRE FSCKING THREAD dangling off the end of their stupid post.

If it's so unnecessary, bloody well snip it!

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
 You can't take the sky from me.

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

Top posters ought to be shot in the neck, cut into little pieces
and fed to the dogs.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

Please be careful to remove the slug.  Don't want the dogs to
get lead poisening...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! Did something
                                  at               bad happen or am I in a

Shooting is too good for them.  Top posters ought to be hung by
their heels and fed a powerful laxative.

Crossposters ought to be hung by their heels and fed a powerful
laxative with their head in a bucket.

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century
"Guy Macon" <http://www.guymacon.com schreef in bericht

Hammurabi would know what to do with them, but I guess your
suggestion is also very acceptable.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

OT: crossposting, huh?
On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:31:29 -0700, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com

What is so wrong with crossposting?  IME, those bitching about
crossposting can only master the first three words of the following
phrase: "Do not crosspost to more than three of four newsgroups, ensure
that the message is totally relevant to all of them, set the Followup-To:
header properly."

Just an observation :)

   Vadim

Re: OT: crossposting, huh?

You are, of course, correct.

I just felt that "Crossposters who post to more than three of four
newsgroups or fail to ensure that the message is totally relevant
to all of them or who fail to set the Followup-To: header properly
ought to be hung by their heels and fed a powerful laxative with
their head in a bucket" somehow wasn't as funny as "Crossposters
ought to be hung by their heels and fed a powerful laxative with
their head in a bucket."

:)

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

1> Top-posting encourages full requoting. It would not be necessary to
"scroll down down down" through irrelevant crap, headers and
signatures if people trimmed their quoted and requoted text.

2> Response points in a properly formatted usenet reply are
unambiguously associated with the item to which they are responding.

3> Properly formatted responses have less wasted verbiage, because
it's not necessary to assign (verbally) each reply sentence to a topic
in the original message. Context is identified positionally.

True, and having them carefully formatted by courteous posters helps a
great deal in reading, comprehending and responding to them quickly
and efficiently. Top-posting is slovenly and implies a lack of effort
beyond hitting "Reply".

The $0.01 and $0.02 coins were abolished in Australia for a good
reason, you know.

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century
Man, these bottom-posters are turn-of-the-century religious fanatics ;)
True I've bottom posted, I've top posted, I've snipped, I've been lazy,
I have done all of those things. Many times it just depends on what is
appropriate. Forcing a paricular style onto everybody is like forcing
everybody to be right-handed, I think they stopped doing that but it
might only of been around 50 years ago. Do we have to wait another 50
years for top posting to be accepted?

But I'd rather not have any quoted material in a post unless it is
ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, let alone having to sit there and carefully snip
and snip when posting and then scroll and scroll when reading.

CLICK CLICK CLICK - there, I've just read three top posts.

K.I.S.S.

my5cents

Peter Jakacki

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

Outlook users who complain about RSI from scrolling through bottom posted
messages should learn how to use their reader. By just pressing the
spacebar, you scroll though the message AND select the next message when
you've reached the end of one....

So, PRESS PRESS PRESS PRESS  - there, I've just read two to four properly
snipped bottom posts...

Meindert

Re: OT: Bottom Post for 20th century

<snick>

What I find interesting is that top posting is the de facto standard for
email replies and I have never heard *anyone* bitch about it.

Bob
--
"Just machines that make big decisions
 programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."

Only in the non-civilized, post-Microsoft world.

I'll complain louder next time. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Mary Tyler Moore's
                                  at               SEVENTH HUSBAND is wearing

It wasn't the de facto standard before Microsoft Outlook, and
personally, I hate it. I particularly hate it when the mail is sent in
a mode which actively prevents me from interspersing replies (that
idiot blue bar down the edge of the quoted text - does anyone know how
to get rid of it?) Many times, I discuss technical points via email,
and not having the ability to respond point by point is frustrating,
confusing to the reader, and error-prone.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Yes: put the cursor below the line you want to answer to and press the
"Decrease Indentation" button (the button at the right of the one with the
bullets).

Meindert

Site Timeline