Anyone out there using Ada ?

are no more accomplished (and maybe less) than American/European C programmers. So, IMO, insistence on Ada, and the time spent to absorb it, would not be a major added expense, and the improvement in code quality should more than pay for it. Use of Ada would be an advantage, because it would avoid the prevalent mis-application of C. I would recommend Ada rather than Modula because it is almost as universally available as is C, due to inclusion in gcc.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.

CBFalconer

The problem with the very large number of programmers "proficient in C" in India, is that for a large percentage, the proficiency is not much more than writing "Hello World" programs.

Such proficiency level can be obtained with short crash courses, but in order to use such programmers in any real project, a competent programming manager is required for each 2-4 such inexperienced programmers. In the worst case, the experienced programmers spends all his/her time managing the inexperienced programmers, while he/she would have produced the same code alone in the same or less time.

A country ends up into this kind of situation, if it tries to bootstrap the IT industry (or in fact any other advanced industry). A much better approach is to include only one inexperienced programmer into a team of programmers with at least moderately competence.

On a country level, this means it takes a lot longer to bootstrap the industry, but the results are better in the end.

It seems that some Indian companies have realized this, since they are buying IT companies in Europe. When asked why they are doing this, while they have a huge number of programmers in India, the Indian owner of one such company admitted in a TV interview that in India, they have the required quantity but not the sufficient quality of programmers and designers.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

The same can be said for just about any other programming language, with the exception of programming languages that are mainly used for safety critical applications.

No disagreement there. Another concern is mentality. Too many programmers are satisfied when their code appears to work, even when they do not fully understand why it works. I have encountered too many cases where the programmer didn't fully understand the semantics the constructs of the programming language he was using. Some won't use a language construct before the fully understand its implications, others (in my experience too many) just muddle on until the programs appears to work (edit&continue debugging must have been invented for those people). IMHO with the latter attitude you cannot write safety critical programs, no matter what programming language you use. One can write crap in any language, only some languages makes it particularly easy.

Reply to
Dombo

I think too much importance is given to the used language. Good programmers have been through a number of languages and if needed could quickly adjust to any other one; those really good would have settled to a certain language for a reason which might prove worth enough the respect to go lax on the language requirement (given that the available tools allow that, that is).

My observations are the same. I guess things will not improve any time soon, most people are not up to the power and complexity of the technology of the day - but have wide access to most of them (not that I am preaching to limit this access, this would be worse). Which explains to a large extent why the current software picture is as messy as it is - with some rare exceptions.

Dimiter