anyone interested in a standalone car mp3 player ?

We're talking about FM here --- every device that is a modulator is automatically a transmitter, too, unless you encapsulate it completely, which would render it relatively useless.

But yes, I hadn't seen all replies when I posted. But even so, you seem to be re-inventing a wheel. Use one of those low-power transmitters, put an antenna jack on it, connect both that and the main antenna to an antenna mixer, and you have got essentially the exact device you're talking about.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

...systems like Itrip are a failure !

Reply to
Antonio

And what does that tell us, if not that the answer to your original question is "nobody will want that"?

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

I have a year old JVC that has line-in on the front and plays MP3 discs. Paid $150 and it works like a champ. Remembers the playback location when you turn the key off (not all MP3 players do this even though they all do it on redbook CDs), and randomizes across folders.

Reply to
FLY135

Then go ahead and build your project, nobody's stopping you. Jeez.

Although I do think the linked device is exceptionaly clever, mainly because it doesn't have (or need!) a display, it's small and portable, and it reads MP3s off a USB thumbdrive which eliminates a whole range of transfer and storage issues.

I'm sure yours will be much better.

FCC

maximize

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for your trust !

"Mike" ha scritto nel messaggio news:416574dc snipped-for-privacy@omega.dimensional.com...

because

reads

Reply to
Antonio

How exactly would this connect to my radio?

1) Do I have to unplug my existing FM antenna and plug in this device? This means that I won't be able to receive any FM stations anymore.

2) Does it use a passive "T" configuration where both the signals from the antenna and the signal from your modulator get mixed in to the same cable? A passive mixer will cause your signal to transmit out through the antenna.

3) Does it use an active mixer where both the signals from the antenna and from your modulator get amplified, buffered, filtered, and then mixed together? If you can make a small device like this for less than the cost of an iTrip then I'll buy one. I don't really need the MP3 player part of it though, I already have one that I like, just give me the FM modulator/mixer device as a standalone product. I would expect the audio quality to be at least as good as the "Ramsey FM10" in order for this device to be worthwhile.

--Tom.

Reply to
Tom

Hi Antonio - I'm aware of CD and radio combined decks for car installation, which can play MP3 CDs already. I'm not sure of my memory, one of the bigger manufacturers... Does your planned device will make something behind that?

ciao - Henry

Reply to
Henry Kiefer