anyone interested in a standalone car mp3 player ?

Hi all, I'm working on a standalone mp3 player for my car to be used with all commercial car radios and directly with an audio amp too. It is not based on a pc but on a microcontroller and uses a 20X4 characters LCD, a keypad, a FM modulator with digital PLL system and accepts all size of CompactFlash cards. My idea is to able all people who have a generic car radio - cd or cassette player without mp3 feature - to listen mp3 too without changing it. In other words my system is in a 13cmX6cm teko soap box and it uses the already installed car radio to amplify audio signal. What do you think about all that ? Is there somebody interested ?

PS Forgive my errors, I'm Italian.

Reply to
Antonio

less

I was planning to make it an open source project such as the Yampp player. I don't think there is on the market a unit with a FM transmitter integrated that ables the user to listen mp3s on his car stereo. Suggestions are well accepted.

Reply to
Antonio

Google for Sony DCCE34CP Cassette Adapter Kit (I've bough mine for

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

....yes I know...but how would you connect a MP3 player to a car cd player without an AUX input ?...here it comes my MP3 player with integrated FM modulator.

"Vadim Borshchev" ha scritto nel messaggio news:>

Antonio

This product already practically exists. There are numerous inexpensive FM txmitters for MP3 players. There are numerous MP3 players.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

If you are referring to small transmitters as Itrip they are inexpensive but they aren't good enough to provide a good sound because power transmitted is very low to be compliant with FCC part 15. However there is no such open source project.

Reply to
Antonio

Mike

"Antonio" skrev i meddelandet news:bkf8d.37313$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.tin.it...

(try

the

integrated

It is illegal in Sweden. Cannot transmit even at low power in the FM frequencies. Legal in the U.S. where I think such products exists. Don't know about other countries.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com

So, you plan to install an unlicensed high-power radiator in your car? This should be an interesting experiment in enforcement of EM emissions laws.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

"Mike" ha scritto nel messaggio news:4161bd6c snipped-for-privacy@omega.dimensional.com...

It's a FM transmitter that uses a ridiculous power to be compliant with FCC part 15, my system uses a coaxial cable and a special T-adapter to maximize SNR...it hasn't a display...it's ridiculous..

Reply to
Antonio

Sorry, I was inexact, my system doesn't transmit, it modulates in FM and inject signal directly in the BNC connector of car stereo. In this way you respect law and you achieve a better SNR.

Reply to
Antonio

Sorry, I was inexact, my system doesn't transmit, it modulates in FM and injects signal directly in the BNC connector of car stereo. In this way you respect law and you achieve a better SNR.

Reply to
Antonio

Aha! Now, that is an interesting project. I think this is of most interest to people (like me :() who have cars with proprietary-shaped radios. People with normal bays would be better to buy a stereo with line-in on the front, if they are already willing to do rewiring work.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Me too, I have a cd player in my car without AUX input, I paid it 350? but it doesn't read mp3 files..for this reason and for people in the same situation I made this player.

Reply to
Antonio

Those that have a cassette player can already do so, with a run-off-the-mill mp3 stick and a 'tape adapter', i.e. a cassette dummy that relays an audio signal directly to the tape head. People have added CD playback to their car radios using that technique ever since CD-walkmen exist.

Car radios new enough to have a CD-drive may just have a line-in on their back, too.

Using an FM transmitter is almost certainly no option, because you need a license to send on the public FM radio band.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

read previous posts...it's not a transmitter it's a modulator..

Reply to
Antonio

Often with less than stellar sound quality though.

Usually you have to trick the head unit into believing there is a CD-changer attaceh before it enables those inputs. Different methods for different brands, sometimes requires reverse enginering of proprietary protocols.

Well, as already pointed out, the original poster didn't intend to do that. Patching the signal into the antenna cable isn't a new idea though, adapters have been commercially available for over a decade, but they tend to be a bit pricey.

/Henrik

Reply to
Henrik Johnsson

With line in on the front? Haven't seen those inputs on new stereos for years.

If you have a good design for the modulator I think it would be better to start a project for developing just that, I don't see any point in starting yet another MP3-player project. There are MP3 players available off the shelf in all shapes, sizes and price ranges, most people will chose their MP3 player based on very different criteria, how well it works in a car is probably rather low on the list in most cases. Since the commercially available FM-adapters are rather expensive I think there would be some interest in a DIY project that for a reasonable cost would extend the use of an existing MP3-player.

/Henrik

Reply to
Henrik Johnsson

...but there is nothing integrated in a single small unit that plays mp3s.

Reply to
Antonio

cassette

This is an understatement. With one of those crap devices, one would be better off by far if he or she would just listen to a cassette.

Rene

Reply to
René