Anybody seen/used e-paper yet ?

Is this reported e-paper, which uses no power, except when changing state [typically 500 msec per screen] cost effective and available. or is it just vapourware ?

googling lead to some Californian enterprise that says "write and ask us". If they've got it why don't they show specs and prices ?

TIA.

Reply to
problems

perhaps ?

Jim Granville

It is certainly not vaporware; I have had one of these in my hands:

The display quality is impressive; it looks just like paper with a semi-reflective transparent plastic sheet over it. However 'turning pages' is annoyingly slow.

Reply to
Dombo

I don't remember where I saw it, but yesterday I saw an ad for an e-ink wristwatch. And there is the Kindle e-book reader from amazon.

--
There is a 20% chance of tomorrow.
Reply to

I fail to see the relevance to either newsgroup.

You should be paying attention, the October issue of "Esquire" magazine had an e-paper cover, though likely they are now all long gone.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

It is sufficiently cost effective and available that it was used on the cover of Esquire magazine recently. Of course, that was just a segmented display, not dot matrix, but it *was* the e-ink technology.

Dot matrix e-ink displays are used in the Sony, Amazon, iLiad, and other book readers, which are shipping in significant volumes.

Presumably for the same reason(s) that many vendors don't publicize specs and prices. Try getting the data sheets and pricing for the TI 1710 or 2420 OMAP chips some time.

Reply to
Eric Smith

It really exists, but in itself it isn't much use. You need to be able to put an electric field across it, either as a set of segments (as per a Motorola phone and the recent Esquire mag) or as a scanned pixel array with an active backplane as used in e-Readers. It's not trivial to do a one-off.

I wonder who that was, given that E-Ink is in Mass.

--
Dave
dav e@llondel.org (without the space)