Any links/URLs for interface to HD used in common iPod-type devices?

Since iPod-type devices are being mass marketed, the components in them are
also being manufactured in large (or at least larger than normal)
quantities.  How much public information is available on the HD interfaces?

TIA
    Norm

Re: Any links/URLs for interface to HD used in common iPod-type devices?
A while back, people were buying iPods to remove the HD for Compact
Flash applications.

So I would gather that they (the iPod drives) are 50-pin CF interface.

I would guess, Apple added extra commands to that interface also.

Donald

Re: Any links/URLs for interface to HD used in common iPod-type devices?

Google google  - "ipod hd" and scan the responses.

Re: Any links/URLs for interface to HD used in common iPod-type devices?

Yeah, been there, done that.  I've verified that some versions of the iPod
do in fact use a HD!  I also found out that early models used a FireWire
interface because USB 1.x was too slow.  But I've discovered nothing of use
in determining what kind of interface the current iPod HD's have.

    Norm

Re: Any links/URLs for interface to HD used in common iPod-type devices?

Search for two inch hard drives; these drives are no longer
iPod-exclusive and are available for other applications. The original
iPod was a Type II PCMCIA form factor drive, although it had a
nonstandard interface. They're all IDE underneath.

The interface the iPod offers to the outside world has nothing to do
with the interface used internally.

Site Timeline