Any links/URLs for interface to HD used in common iPod-type devices?

Since iPod-type devices are being mass marketed, the components in them are also being manufactured in large (or at least larger than normal) quantities. How much public information is available on the HD interfaces?

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

A while back, people were buying iPods to remove the HD for Compact Flash applications.

So I would gather that they (the iPod drives) are 50-pin CF interface.

I would guess, Apple added extra commands to that interface also.

Donald

Reply to
Donald

Google google - "ipod hd" and scan the responses.

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

Yeah, been there, done that. I've verified that some versions of the iPod do in fact use a HD! I also found out that early models used a FireWire interface because USB 1.x was too slow. But I've discovered nothing of use in determining what kind of interface the current iPod HD's have.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Search for two inch hard drives; these drives are no longer iPod-exclusive and are available for other applications. The original iPod was a Type II PCMCIA form factor drive, although it had a nonstandard interface. They're all IDE underneath.

The interface the iPod offers to the outside world has nothing to do with the interface used internally.

Reply to
larwe