Any experience/comments for STR9 Com Stick?

recently I saw the STR9 comstick from Hitex for an amazingly low price. Maybe I am going to use that CPU for a new project what requires to show analog input data over webserver by javascript.

Before waisting the 39 Euro there are some open questions:

1) the product photo shows 3 QFP chips. Two of them seems CPU and PHY. What ist the 3rd (ext. memory?)

2) I cannot see the jtag connector at the stick hw and the product text announces jtag (and uart) over usb debugging. How can that work?

3) product text announces a free debugger without limitations. For USB debugging it seems to require minimum a flashed boot software. Are there any protection tricks what limit the debugger to stick hardware? If not, what are the benefits for a Tantino jtag cable?

4) any experience with the included web server application? DHCP? File system? FTP?

Reply to
janka vietzen

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same stick, but I've been looking at a product that sounds identical.

Where is the third chip? My stick has only two. Maybe you have the four-button "+" shape confused as a third chip?

My diary entry for March 4 has a link to the docs on ST's site, and a photo of the board I'm working with.

I haven't tried to debug it over the built-in USB connector, I didn't realize it was possible. Looking at my photo, the JTAG header is the upper-right one (only one that is actually populated).

hardware? If not,

You won't be able to debug USB connectivity over the USB interface. External JTAG hardware will be mandatory. That's one of the reasons why I haven't even bothered to try

The device mounts like a mass-storage device if you plug it into a PC, and that apparently gives you access to the webserver filesystem. I haven't really experimented with it; I don't intend to use it. But judging from the documentation it does not support DHCP, rather it uses a hardcoded address.

Reply to
larwe

janka vietzen wrote in news:45f59f0e$0$23136$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool1.arcor-online.net:

Looks pretty interesting. Too small a memory for Linux. Nice eval kind of kit.

If all you want is to experiment with a usb device, I think the cheapest way may still be buying a keyspan/8051 ezusb (USA-19?) usb/rs232 dongle. There were - (yes still are some google "hacking the keyspan") web pages on how to do new programs and download over usb.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve Calfee

What

the 3rd is a USB-JTAG converter from FTDI: FT2232

Reply to
looking

The FT2232 has two ports: one for Jtag/Serial Wire Debug and one for USB-Serial converter.

Not sure about Arm 9, but for Arm Cortex, you can Jtag tap to a special state and bring out the Serial Wire Debug on the same Jtag lines.

I jtag/swd the Arm and serial bridge to an Avr. I run an Avr downloader on the Arm. Downloading works fine (flash verified), if I can just boot the Avr (it's not running yet).

No external hardware or connector needed.

Reply to
linnix

Did finally someone find out if this stick can run as a standalone uni (power couls be supplied by a simple external USB HUB)??!

Also I'd like to know if it is possible to use this device a OTG-Interface between a Pocket PC and some USB slaves such as modem o printer. Any experiences?

Best regards, Johannes

Reply to
qljo