Any dual SPIs?

Is anyone aware of any processors with dual SPI (serial peripheral
interface) ports.

I need at least two, more is ok.

Scott
minus the XYZ

Re: Any dual SPIs?

Since SPI is so... simple, can't you just put the data bits on the dat
line and then toggle the clk line for each bit you wish to send or
receive using general purpose I/O pins? That's what I've done in the past
when reading from things like digital Pots. or A/D converters.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Any dual SPIs?

At the higher end (32-Bit) there are a few.  The ARM9 Dragonball
(MC9328MXL),
the Au1100 from AMD and the PXA255 XScale all have dual SPI.  There
are probably others, but these are processors I have designed boards
around, so I know them.
BTW, bit banging works fine, but most SPI devices can support data
rates of 1-10 Mbits/sec or even more, so having a DMA driven
controller is very nice to get the high data rates.  It all depends
upon the application.

Re: Any dual SPIs?

   Some MSP430's, such as the MSP430F147, have two "USART's" which the
"MSP430 Microcontroller Family" pdf says does SCI or SPI. Since the
ones with two such ports also have the hardware multiplier, they're
the 'more expensive' ones. They start around $5 and go up to $call,
but I'm sure it's a lot less than the 32-bit ARM's another poster
mentioned.

To see the parametric table of all '430 parts, just go to msp430.com
and click on the link to the right of "All MSP430 Ultra-Low Power
Microcontrollers".

   I recall using SPI on some Motorola micros, such as an HC11 and
HC05, and a Motorola RTC chip (didn't Motorola invent SPI?). I'd think
some flavor of 683xx (which would be back up in the ARM category)
would have two or more SPI's, but I'd check Motorola's smaller chips
for dual-SPI as well.
   You say you're looking for a 'processor' with two SPI's, but we all
assume (this being comp.arch.embedded) that you're looking for a
microcontroller. About what size/speed of processor/controller are you
looking for? This would narrow the search...
   Gee, I should have asked that at the start, then I could have
waited on writing the rest of the message...

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Re: Any dual SPIs?
Microcontroller is what is meant.  I tend to use the two interchangably.

I want to recieve data at 10 Mbps simultaneously from both channels, so DMA
would also be a good choice.

I looked at the McBSP in the TI DSPs but they require that the slave select
be toggling around each transfer.  In my app I can't rely on that happening,
it could be static, so the TI chips are out.

I'll check the 430s.  I seem to remember some have dma so they might do the
trick.  There is also something to be said for external fpga or equiv.  I
neglected to mention I also need a third port, preferably another straight
async serial, but USB would probably do.

Scott

Re: Any dual SPIs?
If you do not need to have too muuch memory, then the FPSLIC might also be
an alternative.
This is an AVR with an FPGA. You shoul dbe able to get an SPI running in
notime.
The memory is limited to 36 kB internal memory.
There is no external bus, but you can create one using the FPGA.
(I have a macro for this)
How long are the packets you receive?
What is the need from the serial port?

You might also want to look the AT91RM9200 ARM9 chip.
The SSC (Synch serial controllers) is maybe what you need.
The AT91 SPI, can only receive 32 bits and then there is a small delay.
The SSC can receive continous data,has DMA support (which is double
buffered)
and there are three of them on the chip.
There are 5 serial ports , a USB client, Ethernet, and a USB host
controller...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

   That's a total of (10Mbps * 2 channels / 8 bits per byte) 2.5
megabytes per second continuously going into the processor. The MSP430
(and other small(er) microcontrollers such as AVR) likely don't have
enough computational horsepower to handle this (even if the controller
can do one-cycle DMA transfer to memory on each byte received, rather
than have it activate an interrupt routine to save the byte to a
buffer. IIRC, the 430 and AVR top out around 8 or 16 MIPS (they're
really made to run on watch-battery power, not super-high speed). I
think If (large quantity) cost and/or power consumption is very
important, you could write the 430 code and count cycles to see if it
will process your data fast enough, but be ready to go with something
larger.

   I wonder if someone from TI reads this newsgroup... Perhaps
Motorola or AD offers a DSP with two SPI-compatible ports.

   Could you, instead of demanding two SPI ports on a chip, make an
external one using shift registers and 'discrete' logic, or a small
FPGA? This would go to a parallel port and drive an interrupt/DMA
transfer line.

   Something that has all your I/O requirements on-chip might be
overkill for processing (683xx, Atmel's ARM thing), and cost more than
an 'appropriate' sized microcontroller with extra hardware.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Re: Any dual SPIs?
Thanks again for all the input.  I'm starting to think the external
logic/fpga approach will probably be best.

Scott

DMA
select
happening,
the
straight

Re: Any dual SPIs?

We did something like this where I used to work. We needed two SPI-like
ports for a DSP as well as a UART, and needed an FPGA for preliminary
processing, so the SPIs and the UART were implemented on the FPGA. One
SPI was interfaced to our input device and the other to the DSP.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM Tel: +44 1424 423947
Email:leon snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

This may be a little out there for your situation, but the Analog Devices
ADSP-219x DSP has two SPI ports with multiple /SS lines.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

As does the Analog Devices Blackfin BF535, a 16/32-bit microcontroller/DSP
hybrid.

With a flip-flop and a couple gates, you can get the SPORT interface found
on ADI DSP's to talk SPI. (Use the frame sync to clock the flip-flop to
generate the chip select timing, with a frame sync set to occur before the
beginning and end of the transaction, clocking on the trailing edge.)

--
Kenneth Porter
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken /

Re: Any dual SPIs?

Why not just take an AT91M42800A ARM7TDMI which does have dual SPI...

If you want to try out FPGA , you can get an SPI master with FIFO support
from me for the FPSLIC.
The FIFO uses the onboard 32 x 4 DPRAMs so it is quite efficient.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
Re: Any dual SPIs?
If you are looking for a low cost solution then you can do it with a PSOC
configurable microcontroller from Cypress : You have 8 on-board configurable
digital blocks, two of them are communication type, enough to implement two
SPI masters or slaves. By the way you will also get some analog configurable
blocks...

Cheers,

Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts
http://www.alciom.com

Re: Any dual SPIs?

A simple PLD, eg an Altera MAX3064, can do that functionality for you.

Rene

Re: Any dual SPIs?
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:53:55 -0600, "Not Really Me"

You could try one of the TI DSPs. The TMS320C6711 has 2 McBSPs that
can be used in SPI mode.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Any dual SPIs?
Thanks to all for the responses.

I need a hardware solution rather than bit banged as I potentially need to
recieve at 10 Mbps.

Scott

Re: Any dual SPIs?
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:36:48 -0600, "Not Really Me"

A TMS320C6711 running at 150MHz should be able to recieve as an SPI
slave at up to 9.375MBps ((150MHz/2) / 8), but if you run it as an SPI
Master the documentation seems to suggest the divisor of 8 is not
necessary so it should be capable of 75MBps.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: Any dual SPIs?

Motorola DSP86F827, 2-SCI, 1-SPI & 1-SSI.  SSI can be configured as SPI.

Re: Any dual SPIs?

AT91M42800 ARM7 based

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
Re: Any dual SPIs?
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:53:55 -0600, "Not Really Me"

High end versions of the Motorola HC12 family have more than
one SPI-port. MC9S12DP256 has 3.

Regards
Klaus

Site Timeline