Any designs for a small, low-power PIC board, 2 serial ports, 64K flash

Is there an off-the-shelf board which can drive 2 serial ports - taking data
from one port, log the data into a flash memory device, then send the data
through a second port?

Needs to be low-power and compact, so I thought about a PIC but something
else may be better

Thanks in advance

Re: Any designs for a small, low-power PIC board, 2 serial ports, 64K flash
Have you ever seen a PIC with two serial ports ??

One of the serial ports may have to be bit banged.

What speed are the two serial ports ??

How "low-power" and "how compact" ??

Re: Any designs for a small, low-power PIC board, 2 serial ports, 64K flash
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:06:31 -0700, the renowned hamilton

There are some 18F parts with two UARTs, probably SMT-only though.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Any designs for a small, low-power PIC board, 2 serial ports, 64K flash

What speed do you need? As was suggested, you can 'bit bang' a second
serial port when using one of the smaller PICs but the speed will be
limited. If you need high-speed comms on both ports you could interface
a second UART like a Maxim SPI device. I've done this to add an
additional serial port to a mid-range PIC.

A better solution might be to use a Philips LPC210x ARM which has two
UARTs and 128k of on-chip flash. The LPC210x is smaller than most PICs,
much easier to program and not much more expensive. You'd just have to
add a second MAX3232 device to my little LPC210x ARM board to produce
what you want - 10 minutes work and a bit of programming.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email: snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com

Re: Any designs for a small, low-power PIC board, 2 serial ports, 64K flash

Do you need 2 complete UARTS ? Or 1/2 TX and 1 RX ?

If you do need 2 uarts, take a look at the MSP430F149 and similar
devices. They're certainly low power and comparable in price to PICs.

--
Mike Page BEng(Hons) MIEE           www.eclectic-web.co.uk

Re: Any designs for a small, low-power PIC board, 2 serial ports, 64K flash
Have a look at http://www.jkmicro.com/products/flashlite186.html .  May not
be low powered enough, but does everything you want.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

data