any alternatives to PLC (for home automation)....

Hello, All!

About one week ago I asked here a question about PLC. I got several valuable replies, URLs with articles and some documentation, I researched this question and suppose this technology is immature, no common standards, still a lot of issues..... So, new question is arised. Are there any other alternatives (except PLC) for building home automation system? I guess, it may be wireless, infrared etc. mechanism.I guess bluetooth is not suitable due to length limitation, so I'd like to explore all available area. Thank you for any help.

PS. I also send this message to comp.home.automation.

With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tusur.ru

Reply to
Roman Mashak

standards,

X10?

Reply to
DM McGowan II

The absence of a standard doesn't mean a technology is not mature. A standard tends to be the worst mix of all sometimes conflicting proposals. The absence of a standard allows you to select the technology that suits your application most and you don't have to use a standardized one-suits-all solution with the worst possible specifications. As said then, the low data rate solutions are working reliably for slow sensor data. If you need a higher data rate, an ethernet cabling could also make sense. Wireless is just increasing the electronic noise level present in the surrounding and should not be considered for this reason plus that it can be tapped and faked unless care is taken. Forget infrared. It required sight and therefore doesn't pass walls.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

researched

standards,

Have you checked out Linet?

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Interesting, but pretty expensive for home automation. I'd check out X-10.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Hi Roman,

There was an article in CommsDesign about a new version that combines PLC and wireless. However, I am skeptical until some major manufacturer offers reasonably priced gear with that or their own standard.

Wireless may work in Europe and other places. In America and other countries where homes are wood frame constructed it is not so optimal in all cases. The reason is that outside walls and walls towards the garage are often insulated with fiber that is backed with aluminum foil. A good indicator of the problems is to walk around with a modern 2.4GHz or 5GHz cordless phone. Usually it quits when going outside, into the garage or into a section of the house that angles off the main part.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg