[ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

Hi All,

I thought I would pass along some information on my latest project:
the AVRcam.  The AVRcam is a small, low-cost, image processing engine
based on the Atmel mega8 microcontroller.  The AVRcam provides the
following capabilities:
   * Track 8 different objects of 8 different user-defined colors
     at 27 frames/sec
   * Provide real-time tracked object statistics (color, bounding box,
     center of object, and more) through a standard serial port (UART)
   * Tracked image resolution of up to 88 x 144 (at 27 frames/sec)
   * Low power consumption (the ENTIRE system draws 5V at only
     53 mA running at full speed)
   * Small size (Experimental Version with breadboard area:
     3.5" x 3.1"   Final Version: 2.3" x 2.0")
   * In-circuit programmability for expanding its capabilities

In addition, a PC application called AVRcamVIEW supports the AVRcam,
allowing the user to test and calibrate the AVRcam.  AVRcamVIEW
provides the following:
   * Take full-color snapshots (176 x 144 pixels) with the system and
     display the images (both raw Bayer data and interpolated data)
   * Easily create a Color Map of colors to track based on a snapshot
     (just click on the colors of interest and add them to the Color
     Map)
   * Adjust the precision of each tracked color (i.e. provide a range
     of acceptable R-G-B values for each color), allowing the user to
     adjust the Color Map to the available lighting conditions
   * Display the real-time tracking results of each tracked object
    (with color and bounding box information)
   * Record a tracking session for playback at a later time
   * Test the system out in any OS supported by Java 1.4 (Windows,
     Linux, Macintosh, etc.)

You can find out more about the AVRcam at:
http://www.jrobot.net/RobotProjects/RobotProjectsIndex.html

by clicking on the AVRcam link (there are also links to some of my
other robot projects here...you'll have to forgive my "basic"
website...I'm just starting to figure out this HTML stuff ;-)

I'm continuing development on the project, but wanted to get the word
out to those of you who may be interested in it.  I'm planning on
posting both source code as well as schematics and other info about
the project as time becomes available.  I also may end up doing a
small production run of the system as well.  If interested, drop me an
email at

snipped-for-privacy@jrobot.net

Thanks for reading,

John Orlando
http://www.jrobot.net

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

Impressive!

--
KC6ETE  Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
Hi John,

this is impressive! Seems like a miracle to me how you managed to fit all
this in to an AVR with a few hundred bytes of SRAM only. My first thought
was you must be kidding. But now as I've seen the pics on your website I'm
convinced that this is actually working.

Do you plan to lay the µC source code open?

Jan

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
Hi Jan,

Ha!  That would be funny...yes, the system does actually work.  I've
continued developing the project past my submission into the Circuit
Cellar contest, and have been adding more features along the way.
After all, I still have both code space, RAM, and EEPROM left...can't
let it go to waste.

I am seriously considering open-sourcing the software.  I'm in a bit
of a quandry about my next move with the project.  I'm still
considering selling a kit form or a ready-to-go version, though I have
a feeling that putting the system into "production" will take much of
the enjoyment out of it (though making some $$ to fund my next project
would be nice...).  I'll be sure to post back to usenet as progress is
made.

John Orlando
http://www.jrobot.net

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
Although open-source is always beneficial to the community.  You should
probably take a serious look at putting this into production.
Especially if you have any plans of merging the camera chip/lens and
processor onto a *small* smt-type board.  Could be serious competition
for CMUCam.

m2c,
Jason

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

I would be interested in buying a kit if the price is right.

Especially if it is open source/hardware.
--
D. Jay Newman
http://enerd.ws/robots /

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
Same here!  I'm truly impressed.

I recently did a 4 inch thermal printer in the M8, which I thought was
rather cool spitting out paper at many inches per second (more than 14 but I
forget)  832 pixels, 2000 times a second, plus stepper accel and decel,
analog measurements, and burn density calculation and control, all running
concurrently.

It's an amazingly capable chip.

--
KC6ETE  Dave's Engineering Page, www.dvanhorn.org
Microcontroller Consultant, specializing in Atmel AVR

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

Cool project Dave!  I wholeheartedly agree that the AVR mega8 is one
heck of a processor.  I really don't think anything else comes close
in capability vs. power consumption vs. size.  Geez...you'd think I
work for Atmel or something...I don't...I'm just a happy customer
using their products.

I wonder if this is going to stir up the PIC camp to respond...here we
go again...

John

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
I'd be interested too. But it's not that easy to buy something overseas when
you're an EU citizen like me. All the added taxes and shipping fees easily
double the prices.

Therefore, I'd prefer to take a look at the software without having to buy
hardware, although I'm willing to pay for your work. Maybe you'll offer the
source code only?

Jan

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

 >>Do you plan to lay the µC source code open?
 >>
 >>Jan
 >
 > I am seriously considering open-sourcing the software.  I'm in a bit
 > of a quandry about my next move with the project.  I'm still
 > considering selling a kit form or a ready-to-go version, though I have
 > a feeling that putting the system into "production" will take much of
 > the enjoyment out of it (though making some $$ to fund my next project
 > would be nice...).  I'll be sure to post back to usenet as progress is
 > made.

John:

I can understand your quandry.  I went through a similar quandry
when various members of my robotics club encouraged me to
commercialize RoboBricks (now RoboBRiX).  There is a huge amount
of work required to take something from "works for you" to
"works for everybody else".  For RoboBRiX it is still a work in
progress.  Sigh.

It would be a shame to let what is obviously some pretty slick
engineering fall by the way side.  A suggestion would be to
form a yahoo group to get the interested parties together
to form a self support group.  Such a self support group
could perform a group buy of the camera, boards, installing
the GCC compiler, etc.  I know I would sign rup, and I suspect
a dozen or so other people would as well.  This would spread
the effort of taking something from the "works for you" to
"works for other people" out to a bunch of interested people.

Just a though,

-Wayne

P.S. The snipped-for-privacy@PacBell.Net is a spam trap.  To repond to
me directly, Wayne AT Gramlich DOT Net.  Make sure the subject
looks pretty interesting, or my spam filter will get to it
before I do.

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

Me too!
--
D. Jay Newman
http://enerd.ws/robots /

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
UNBELIEVABLE

FANTASTIC..

INCREDIBLE..

MINDBOGGLING..

ASTONISHING..

PHENOMENAL..

..

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

Thanks...I really appreciate the kindness.  I also wanted to throw out
a general thanks to newsgroups like this one, and
http://www.avrfreaks.com because both of these forums have always
helped me out in the past when I have run into problems.

I also wanted to pass on some information to those who have asked
about the source code and/or schematics to the project.  I am pretty
sure that my original submission into the Circuit Cellar contest is
going to be made available sometime in the next couple of weeks on
their website.  My entry contains the COMPLETE source code for the
project, as well as additional technical information.  It also
includes the schematic for the original "breadboard" version of the
project.

As I said before, I have continued developing the project, adding new
features as well as fixing several bugs in the system.  I do plan to
do a production run of the system over the next couple of months that
will have the latest and greatest software (both embedded and PC) as
well as the latest hardware.

Stay tuned...I'll be sure to post here as things progress.

Regards,
John

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
Is your source code (hopefully) in C or assembler ?

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

Hello,

Its 95% in C...there are a couple of Assembly routines that are
critically timed to interact with the stream of pixels coming from the
OV6620.  But I tried to comment EVERYTHING as well as possible (mostly
because my memory stinks sometimes, and its just flat out easier to
understand that way).

John

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
While I've see modivation for tracking a single color blob to use with
the soccer-bot type of robot games, I am not clear on the end purpose
for your device. (then again, I am not that familiar with robotics)

  Here are some random ideas, in case you might want to plan for these
in the future kits.  Please add other ideas that I've omitted.

  - Tracking an object in 3-d space by using two of your devices.
I've seen virtual-reality type pointing device which is simply a stick
that has a ball on each end. By placing 3 different colored balls in a
triangular orientation, it is possible to extract 6dof for the
observed object.

  - Your camera is relatively low-resolution. Pehaps allow for the
possibility of adding a higher resolution camera for more accuracy.

  - Give a robot the ability to see beacons so it can extract its
location by triangulating on two bases. Alternatively, locate and
drive to a charging station.  If you stack the beacon with a few
colors on top of each other, you can encode each base with an address.

Joe Dunfee

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR
Wasn't there some fella that recently needed to track people down a
hallway for an art exhibit?????

chris in napa

Re: [ANN] AVRcam: Real-time image processing engine based on the AVR

I have the equipment to make 2 sided PCB's.
plotter, dip tanks, cnc drill press.

This could be a good time for me to figure out how
to convert popular CAD PCB formats into the format
my CAD program uses.

aiiadict AT hotmail DOT com

http://rich12345.tripod.com

Site Timeline