Ancient Philips MCU query

A friend of mine who often repairs old lab stuff has run into some board on which he has some Philips part, PCF4500WP in plcc44. The crystal is at pins 7 and 8. That is all the info he gave me when he asked me - and I know nothing about it. Perhaps someone here would have some info - datasheet or whatever, I'll just forward it to him.

Thanks,

Dimiter

Reply to
dp

Actually he gave one more clue, the part is from "around 1992".

Dimiter

dp

I expect you already did a Google search and found the same thing I did, nothing. I see the number shows up on a site where you can try to get quotes, so they acknowledge that it existed and the time frame is right.

It is not very often that a part goes so totally missing like this unless it was some sort of a custom part perhaps. But then maybe it disappeared from view before the Internet, so no trace left behind.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yep, same result (only I did not check any offers, I guess I am more tired from all those fake "suppliers" than you are :D ).

Dimiter

Reply to
dp

Philips had a range of 8051 clones at about that era, but I can't seem to find an 8051 pinout with the crystal in that place. And I think they were numbered xx51.

It isn't some wierd second-source of the MC14500B is it? Can't imagine why it would be in a 44 pin package.

The other thing it could be is a Philips ASIC. Is it in a Philips instrument?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

is at

ere

why

The MC14500B seems the best guess so far (I did not know the 14500). He'll probably see the discussion tomorrow (I sent him a link to it on google groups). While I can imagine someone could put that in a plcc in the late 80-s or early 90-s I could not find any reference to such a thing (spent perhaps 15 minutes searching).

Thanks, Dimiter

Reply to
dp

We had a large set of Philips databooks in the 90's, with regular updates. Unfortunately, almost all have gone now. But I did find IC25 from 1996. It's for the "16-bit 80C51XA Microcontrollers". In the intro section, there are the telephone numbers for the Bulletin Boards and Fax-on-Demand service, no web address. ;-) And it starts with an overview of all (? can't be sure it's complete) Philips microcontrollers at that time:

80C51 Family CMOS: 80Cxx, 83Cxx, 87Cxx 80CLXXX Family CMOS: 80CLxx, 83CLxx, 85CLxx 8051 Family NMOS: 8051, 8031, 8052, 8032 8400 Family CMOS: 84Cxx 8400 Family NMOS: 84xx 3300 Family CMOS: 33xx 16-bit controllers (68000 architecture): 68070, 93C101, 90CE201 16-bit controllers (XA architecture): XA-G1, XA-G2, XA-G3

Nothing with PCF numbers in there. What I rememeber from that time is that most PFCxxxx chips where (I2C) peripheral chips.

Trouble always comes at the wrong time.
Reply to
Stef

Could it perhaps be the PCD4500???? (Sometimes we see what we expect to see)

*Peter*
Reply to
Peter Jakacki

What frequency is the crystal, what is connected to the PLCC44, and what does the Board actually do ?

IIRC Philips did make PCF33xx series uC which used their 8048 core,and they may have done some emulation style parts in PLCC44

-jg

Reply to
j.m.granville

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I don't know how far he got, may be he has fixed the device already. He sent me also this a day or two ago (and I forgot to post it):

"The instrument is a Hartmann&Braun O2/CO2 meter URAS10E. A VFC output is connented to pin 6. Pin 13 seems to be serial I/O. Pin 14 seems to be clock for the serial transfer. Other pins looks to be parallel ports."

Dimiter

Reply to
dp

the Board actually do ?

have done some emulation style parts in PLCC44

PCF84C633A was a 8048 core with 64-segment LCD driver on-chip. I see PCAxxx and PCD3347.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

FWIW, there's nothing similar in the 1992 Philips "Concise Catalog", but there are about 50 PCFxxx parts (none in a PLCC-44).