An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??

I was exploring the possibility of using one of the At91SAM7Sxxs. But i
found that none of them has the capability of using external RAM or
Flash chips. In such a case, is it possible to cram an OS onto this
chip? If yes, which OS would be suitable? Will any form of Linux fit?

Plz note that using the AT91SAM7As instead is not an option for me.

Regards
Mayank

Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??
The Linux Kernel is arouind 1.4 MB so it wont fit.
You need to investigate real time operating systems like eCos
You memory sizer is highly depending on what you want to
run on the system. Protocol stacks like TCP/IP easily
use 100s of kB of memory.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

But also note that there are several TCP/IP stacks that fit in
significantly smaller amounts of memory. See e.g.

* uIP: http://www.sics.se/~adam/uip /
* lwIP: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/lwip /
* OpenTCP: http://www.opentcp.org /
* uC/IP: http://ucip.sourceforge.net/

uIP uses around 5k code ROM and typical configurations require
as little as 1k RAM.

/adam
--
Adam Dunkels, Swedish Institute of Computer Science

Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:57:36 +0100, "Ulf Samuelsson"

If you go for Linux/BSD maybe. My company's stack nicely fits into 64K
for ARM (with PPP !) (no I am not with ENEA anymore :-)

--
42Bastian
Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??

So it will take up the entire 64K available - or leave some room for an
application also?

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??

The AT91SAM7S256 has been sampled to at least one large customer
so when general sampling starts, then the 64kB is no  problem.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

A typical HTTP application for ARM (GCC) is 73K w/o PPP. So it does
not fit into 64K Flash.

But for sure, we can (and will not) compete with the free(!?) stacks
which come with limitations here and there.
--
42Bastian
Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??

The FreeRTOS.org download includes a demo application that runs on the SAM7.
Take a look at:

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

FreeRTOS.org is a mini real time kernel rather than a full OS, but the
download includes sample serial port and USB drivers for the SAM7.

Hope this is useful for you.

Regards,
Richard.

Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??
I came upon the same issue while looking at the LPC21xx and SAM7.

The solution for me was the LPC221x. I didn't need the smaller form
factor but needed the external bus to drive some peripheral chips.

Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??
On 19 Feb 2005 23:00:31 -0800, "Mayank Kaushik"

Sciopta (www.sciopta.com) nicely fits for these (18KB ROM). Expect BSP
by end of march.

--
42Bastian
Re: An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??

small operating systems for ARM7 would include:

uC/OS-II  http://www.micrium.com /
Nucleus http://www.acceleratedtechnology.com /
CMX http://www.cmx.com /

and others.

I do not know if all (any) of them already support the SAM7S series but
it is not a big deal.

All of them support on or the other version of the LPC2000 Philips
micros that are very similar to the SAM7S except for USB, which is not
available yet on the Philips devices. A nice option though for the
LPC2000, there is an external bus option available with the same
peripherals (LPC2200 series)
For more information check here:
http://www.philipsmcu.com

Greetings, Schwob