An OS for the AT91SAM7Sxx??

Hi,

I was exploring the possibility of using one of the At91SAM7Sxxs. But i found that none of them has the capability of using external RAM or Flash chips. In such a case, is it possible to cram an OS onto this chip? If yes, which OS would be suitable? Will any form of Linux fit?

Plz note that using the AT91SAM7As instead is not an option for me.

Regards Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

The Linux Kernel is arouind 1.4 MB so it wont fit. You need to investigate real time operating systems like eCos You memory sizer is highly depending on what you want to run on the system. Protocol stacks like TCP/IP easily use 100s of kB of memory.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

The FreeRTOS.org download includes a demo application that runs on the SAM7. Take a look at:

FreeRTOS.org is a mini real time kernel rather than a full OS, but the download includes sample serial port and USB drivers for the SAM7.

Hope this is useful for you.

Regards, Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I came upon the same issue while looking at the LPC21xx and SAM7.

The soluti> Hi,

Reply to
B. Ma

Sciopta

nicely fits for these (18KB ROM). Expect BSP by end of march.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

But also note that there are several TCP/IP stacks that fit in significantly smaller amounts of memory. See e.g.

  • uIP:
  • lwIP:
  • OpenTCP:
  • uC/IP:

uIP uses around 5k code ROM and typical configurations require as little as 1k RAM.

/adam

--
Adam Dunkels, Swedish Institute of Computer Science
http://www.sics.se/~adam/,

If you go for Linux/BSD maybe. My company's stack nicely fits into 64K for ARM (with PPP !) (no I am not with ENEA anymore :-)

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

Hi Mayank,

small operating systems for ARM7 would include:

uC/OS-II

Nucleus
CMX

and others.

I do not know if all (any) of them already support the SAM7S series but it is not a big deal.

All of them support on or the other version of the LPC2000 Philips micros that are very similar to the SAM7S except for USB, which is not available yet on the Philips devices. A nice option though for the LPC2000, there is an external bus option available with the same peripherals (LPC2200 series) For more information check here:

or here

Greet> Hi,

An Schwob in USA

So it will take up the entire 64K available - or leave some room for an application also?

Regards, Richard.

Richard

The AT91SAM7S256 has been sampled to at least one large customer so when general sampling starts, then the 64kB is no problem.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

A typical HTTP application for ARM (GCC) is 73K w/o PPP. So it does not fit into 64K Flash.

But for sure, we can (and will not) compete with the free(!?) stacks which come with limitations here and there.