alternative uC needed... i think

I was suggested to use ELan's microcontroller EM78P862A to drive a
calculator I am working on. The problem is that I've begun working in C
[ANSI] and I haven't found any C environments for this chip.
So ... I am looking for a more convetional alternative, hopefully non
killer, and very important: I run Linux OS [Debian Sarge]

The problem is also in the fact I am now concentrated mainly on software
development, and I am almost done... but:
I don't have a real C embedded development environment for that
microcontroller... like:

( a devel board -> COM1/USB -> PC
       \___________________________ JTAG )

Is there a similar model of AVR/8051/Philips/PIC/Z80 or whatever. with C
environment, preferrably runnable under Linux.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Re: alternative uC needed... i think
I was thinking ELAN is  providing a free C compiler,  I least I download it
once without  trying it.?
Not  sure if  the C compiler is usable and ANSI compliant, but for the price
they sell their chips I think you
can't expect...
Anyway seem to be pretty close to microchip stuff... obviously without
flash. OTP at least last time I checked...

Bibico

Re: alternative uC needed... i think

ELAN????  The last time I checked, ELAN was still shipping
buggy DOS-Based tools only.  If they offered me a C compiler,
I would run the other way.

(Does some checking)

Ah.  No C compiler for the Elan chips that are most commonly used.
Th C compiler is just for the RISCII Series.  IIRC, they bought that
design, so I assume that whoever designed it wrote a C Compiler
for it.  Perhaps it won't be so bad after all.  One can only hope.

Re: alternative uC needed... i think

Just currious what are the most commonly used Elan chips ?

So far I checked the free C  [ EMC C compiler ]
I downloaded in november 2003 and that was already release 1.1
Those chips are supported with that release
'153, '156, '257, '447, '451, '458, '808, '813, '815

Re: alternative uC needed... i think
Thanks for the involvement, guys :-)
I am a heavy linux/unix user, but if required by the work...
I can try to move "off" to windows ... or doors, whatever.

I haven't tested yet, only referenced by the website, and found there that
they will offer a C compiler from Q1 of this year.

That chip [862 based] is not in the list of "Bibico Cando"

makes me wonder about the alternatives.

Thanks,
M.

Re: alternative uC needed... i think
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:39:39 +0200, Maxim Kovgan

   Huh? Are you compiling and running the code you're writing? With
what compiler, a resident Linux compiler?
   Code written in "ANSI C" and developed with a compiler for a large
system (Linux is really large compared to 8-bit micro's) won't
neccesarily compile (much less run) with a compiler targeting an 8-bit
microcontroller, even if it says it's "ANSI C." You might not even be
halfway done as far as getting your code to run on an 8-bit
microprocessor or microcontroller.

   I've got AVRGCC running on Windows, there is surely a Linux
version, and there are surely C cross-compilers running on Linux for
most if not all the other processors you listed.
   Decide what chip you will use, get the compiler for it, and port
the code you've already written to that compiler. THEN continue
software development. The sooner you see the limitations of the
compiler and target processor, the better off you'll be.
   There are simulators for many of these (at least for Windows - it
may be possible to compile on Linux and move the object code to
Windows to simulate it), so you can see your code run without even
having the actual chip.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Site Timeline