alternative to "arm development suite"

Im an undergrad who is new to ARM-based controllers. Im working on a
custom board based on the AT91rm9200 microcontroller. The aim is to
develop an in-house evaluation board that can be used in the future for
educational purposes. Currently, im using the trial version of "Arm
development suite" (ADS 1.2), and my licence is running out. Are there
any free GNU tools available that can totally replace ADS..if so ,
where can i download them..if not,
thanx in anticipation
Mayank

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

The exact response depends on the host computer
and operating system. There are ready packages
for Windows, PC-Linux and ARM-Linux.

I mady my first toolchain by loading the sources
from a GNU mirror, configuring and compiling
the tools under Linux.

For Windows toolchain, ave a look at
<http://dsl.ee.unsw.edu.au/dsl-cdrom/gnutools/src/install-win32-individual.html .

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

You may want to check out the www.at91.com web site.
In the left lower corner is a link to the AT91 CDROM which contains
a toolset for Linux host, used to compile the AT91 Linux.
If you go to the Linux forum, you will find a link to the latest AT91 linux.
Here is a link to an Open Source AT91RM9200 based
Educational board
http://www.fh-augsburg.de/~hhoegl/proj/comet/index.html

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
Re: alternative to "arm development suite"
 > Currently, im using the trial version of "Arm

There is some software, free for educational use, at
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~cs4824/arm_std_html.html

Are there

I know theres a GCC port, there is probably a debugger as well but I've
never used it.

Al

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

I've

ROFL!! The gcc port for ARM is the single most widely used ARM
toolchain in the world, I'm willing to wager. Why are you pointing the
OP at buyware/restricted license solutions?

To the OP: There are numerous places where one can acquire precompiled
ARM GNU toolchains. As one starting point, try www.gnuarm.com.

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

I know. I have been doing a lot of work with it lately. However I've
never used the debugger, only the compiler and gas.

Well, he said he was already using some software by ARM, and it was for
educational purposes. So perhaps the interface of the other software may
be more familair.

Al

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"
  Also try http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm.html . They are
supported by ARM to make improvements to the ARM GCC tool chain.

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"
Hi,

Ive downloaded the GNU toolchain from gnuarm.com. I had also gone to
the codesourcery site mentioned above, but i didnt know what abi meant
:-(, but a google define:abi took care of that.

Im trying to develop a stand alone device (for my senior undergrad
project), much like a computer, around the at91rm9200. i have forsaken
the ADS for now, since the trial licence is running out...moreover i
think it will be more useful when i start hunting for a job :-|

I wil have to port the uC OS onto this board, and add a graphical
interface, and also interfaces for a keyboard, usb etc.

Il be working on these OSs: redhat linux 9, fedora core 2.

But i have no idea how to go about "compiling a toolchain". im googling
for info, but any link to a note etc would be nice..
Thanx in anticipation
Mayank

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

Search www.kegel.com and you will eventually find crosstool,
which is what you need.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson.
Re: alternative to "arm development suite"
Hi,

Ive downloaded the GNU toolchain from gnuarm.com. I had also gone to
the codesourcery site mentioned above, but i didnt know what abi meant
:-(, but a google define:abi took care of that.

Im trying to develop a stand alone device (for my senior undergrad
project), much like a computer, around the at91rm9200. i have forsaken
the ADS for now, since the trial licence is running out...moreover i
think it will be more useful when i start hunting for a job :-|

I wil have to port the uC OS onto this board, and add a graphical
interface, and also interfaces for a keyboard, usb etc.

But i have no idea how to go about "compiling a toolichain". im
googling for info, but any link to a note etc would be nice..

Thanx in anticipation
Mayank

PS: i will be on these OSs for development : Redhat Linux 9.0, fedora
core 2

[...]

It's nice that you send this three times, to ensure that we can't
miss it.  It is also pleasant that you quote nothing, so that the
message becomes a complete mystery to any reader.  I suspect you
also altered the subject, just to ensure the whole thing becomes an
incomprehensible orphan.

Look in my sig below for a means to avoid google foul-ups.  Then
quote, snip, and bottom-post.

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

<snip entire post not relevant to discussion>

Well, he did not alter the subject anyway, and it threads fine in XNews.
However as to the other complaints, agreed 100%, judicious quoting, and
posting once are desirable.

--
Richard

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

er..heh heh...sorry about that, friends..my browser got stuck, i
pressed the "post message" button once too often. wil b more careful in
the future :-(

Re: alternative to "arm development suite"

Allright!  Finally, a google user who has learned to use the
system.  Now I don't know whether he or google is to blame for
losing the attributes!  I do know who to blame for that silly 'b'
though.