Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

"Anthony Fremont" wrote in news:maSwc.40418$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

Anthony, believe me I have every sympathy with you - I think that reckless outsourcing is economic suicide for companies for many reasons, from diminishment of in-house expertise in core products, mistaken belief that overseas engineers have the same commitment to quality as in-house engineers, to dwindling domestic markets and ever-downward cost pressures.

I have also been in a company in England that decided to shed its modest new-products development department to meet short-term cost reductions, so I appreciate the personal psychological impact.

I would take issue with the suggestion that *all* importation of foreign workers is a bad thing for America. I am of course biased - I spend every other month in the US assisting with new product development.

Since I first started working with that company, I have proved that a product family was feasible, leading to approximately forty new jobs for US workers; I have trained fifty or sixty engineers in the use of ARM processor and passed on many tips for optimal programming that core, and have made many contributions that have improved the performance of the product and the spin-off products now in development.

Now, would it have been better if I had spent my time working with a Korean or Japanese competitor? Believe me, unlike US immigration, they don't habitually haul me into an office and interrogate me for half an hour when I'm entering their countries to present a legitimate training course. Trust me, your border guys are definitely trying to dissuade assistance from foreign workers ;)

Peter.

Reply to
CodeSprite

"Anthony Fremont" escribió en el mensaje news:kKgxc.42945$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com...

what happened? did you just wake up?! AFAIK it's has always been like that in the states! it's what you call capitalism and free market! the laws that protect workers (as well as universal medical care, etc) in europe are "social" laws, strongly defended by the "left". But it's a sin to even think "social" in the states! you should really see Michael Moore's films...

Reply to
roller

"Spehro Pefhany" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

i saw in a Michael Moore film that TWA (the airline company) has a call center run by prisoners...

Reply to
roller

That ("in a Michael Moore film ") should be sufficient proof that it's not true.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

you have not disproved the claim that TWA has a call center run (more probabaly staffed) by prisoners. Instead you have engaged in fallacy

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Just as there are no crooked CEOs. And the administration never lied about WMDs. Have blind faith, and indulge in self-deception. This is the best of all possible worlds.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Not necessarily. One could argue that a person who has made untrue claims in the past is not a credible source. I don't want to address the issue of Michael Moore's crediblity, only that others have.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I think you misunderstand. I'm suggesting that you (or anyone else) should *not* place any blind faith in Michael Moore, especially considering his track record. Perhaps I should have added a smiley, but I thought the intent was obvious.

Here's some further information for you to consider - movies, by whatever maker, are often not reflections of true events. In fact, they're often downright fiction!

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
removebalmerconsultingthis@att.net
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Hi,

And even this reason is falling away with colour laser printer prices dropping, and becomming quite reasonable. I have even seen prices for a minolta full colour laser printer, (It is a one pass colour printer that mixes the toner before application to the paper) in the order of US$4000, which is quite afordable for even fairly small businesses. Multi pass (prints CMYK in seperate passes) colour laser printers are available below US$1000.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

[Stuff Snipped]

One of the biggest problems with protective labour laws are that companies often do not want to take a chance on hiring people until they have no choice. When it is easy to fire someone, then the risk of hiring someone is much lower. This often slows down the recovery period after a slump quite a bit.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Ah, but apparently, millions *do* believe the incredible Mr. Moore. Blind = faith and gullibility have reached epic proportions!

--
Bill
Posted with XanaNews Version 1.16.3.1

OK, if *all* of MM's past statements are false, then one could say that it is *likely* that this statement is also false. Otherwise, it is still an ad hominem attack (fallacy). It certainly doesn't rise to the level of "proof" even if all past statements by MM are false.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Strange. Over here they are not. It is quite normal to have cables assembled at the local prison. Since everyone can get their services, which are more expensive than china BTW, prison work is not considered distorting the market. The technology provided is limited as the prison do not offer any infrastructure, the infrastructure is fully provided by the customer, be that crimp tools, solder stations. And since the customer has no relation to the worker, I dunno whether they ever meet, that limits the value of the tools. BTW, not every convict is a badie. Considering certain laws, it can be rather easy to be thrown into prison. EG. the third time drunk driving gives 3 Month or so.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

call

ad

"proof"

The bigger question is why are you asking someone who made no claims about an alleged fact, when you offer no proof about the claim that you allege? My guess is that you just learned the meaning of "ad hominem" and wanted to show off.

Reply to
FLY135

What was untrue or incorrect in the film? BTW I have not seen it yet.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

First of all, an ad hominem attack is just that, an attack. Now an attack can be true or false. Just because it is an ad hominem attack does *not* make it a fallacy.

One could say that "Jim Stewart hates Volvos because he drives a Subaru". By your definition, this is a fallacy because it is an ad hominem attack. In reality it is both an ad hominem attack and it is true.

As to how many false statements someone must make before they have lost their credability, we obviously differ. To my mind, anyone that makes even one deliberately missleading statement is suspect. Again, I leave it as an exercise for the readers to determine if Michael Moore fits in that category.

You may say that with that standard honesty, I must not believe very much. You'd be correct.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

And they are given first consideration as suppliers to the Fed government, well ahead of private manufacturers. While that is arguably separate from "domestic trade", it certainly impacts on commercial producers.

--
Bill
Posted with XanaNews Version 1.16.3.1
Reply to
William Meyer

Failed logic? There's no need for *all* of MM's past statements to have been false to make it wise to suspect his current rants.

--
Bill
Posted with XanaNews Version 1.16.3.1
Reply to
William Meyer

faith

Here's one opinion.

Jim Stewart

I get low end colour lasers for under $1000 (Okidata C5000 series and Xerox Phaser B), both do single pass printing a lot faster than I have seen most Minoltas (12-16ppm compared to 4-6ppm) and have lower consumable costs with higher life time for the consumables.

Don't get me started on their A3 printers of bad version control and poor support.....

--
Paul Carpenter		| paul@pcserv.demon.co.uk
        Main Site