Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them - Page 2

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
says...

I bought an HP Laserjet 4L in 1995.  It's on toner cartridge #3
(a Xerox cartridge, by the way; they're about $15 less than HP
(and Hecho de Mexico)).
I have no idea how many pages it's printed (the counter in this model
resets when it's unplugged), but I must have bought close to 20 reams
of paper for it.

I have a 4-year old Canon BJ printer, still on the original print
cartridge (Canon uses separate tanks for each color and black, so I'm
not tossing $40 of plastic out just because my son decided to print
his drawing of a solid red train against a solid blue background).

I refuse to spend real money on a digital camera until there is one
that takes as good an image as my 70's vintage Minolta SLR, and costs
the same as that SLR cost me then (adjusted for inflation, of course).
In the meantime, I bought one for $1.00 on Ebay because it is no longer
SOTA.

Don't blame the new HP; they're just dancing to Wal-Mart's tune, and
Wal-Mart is simply giving the US consumer what they ask for, namely
cheaply made junk at Always Low Prices(TM).

With the warmer weather finally set to make an appearance here in the
Northeast, has anyone else noticed the piles of air conditioners in
supermarkets and drugstores?  All with an EER of 9.7, the LOWEST
efficiency allowed on the US market?  Five minutes at www.energystar.gov
will give you a page-long list of more efficient models, but GOD FORBID
the American consumer should spend $20 more (all of which will be paid
back by the end of the cooling season in lower electric bills).

Agilent, Tek, etc. are all faced with a US market that requires
equipment under ($3,000? $10,000?) because that's all managers can
approve spending without giving up a kidney.  And, they're selling
into a market that is simply AWASH in perfectly good used equipment
from the TeleDotCom collapse.  Their market is in a death spiral;
what would YOU do?

You can be sure that the last buggy whip manufacturer in this country
probably made the best darn buggy whip there was.

--Gene

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
... snip ...

To me, anyone who uses an inkjet printer has been sitting in the
sun too long without a hat.  I have a Samsung ML4500 I bought
about 4 years ago, for $199, on its second toner cartridge.  I
have printed 12,000 plus pages on 3,000 plus sheets, mostly as
booklets, according to the statistics on my FinePrint driver.
Total cost, excluding paper, about $250.

The ONLY reason for inkjets is for color printing, and the
propensity to clog when rarely used makes that doubtful.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

And even this reason is falling away with colour laser printer prices
dropping, and becomming quite reasonable. I have even seen prices for
a minolta full colour laser printer, (It is a one pass colour printer
that mixes the toner before application to the paper) in the order of
US$4000, which is quite afordable for even fairly small businesses.
Multi pass (prints CMYK in seperate passes) colour laser printers are
available below US$1000.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
On Tuesday, in article
...... SNIP ....

I get low end colour lasers for under $1000 (Okidata C5000 series and
Xerox Phaser B), both do single pass printing a lot faster than I have seen
most Minoltas (12-16ppm compared to 4-6ppm) and have lower consumable costs
with higher life time for the consumables.

Don't get me started on their A3 printers of bad version control and poor
support.....

--
Paul Carpenter        | snipped-for-privacy@pcserv.demon.co.uk
<http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/ Main Site

Then how do you do color printing?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

As I said, that is a reason.  In practice I either am satisfied
with a gray scale, or I ship the jpg or whatever off to my
granddaughter.  That serves to keep her inkjet unclogged.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I tried that once.  I only print color very seldom.  I would take a
floppy over to my brother's house and use his printer.  But he decided
to do me a favor and buy me an Epson for xmas.  It is not sitting unused
because the jets have clogged.  I spoke with an Epson rep at Best Buy
once and he admitted that that model was very prone to screwing up.  He
said the replacement model has the same defect.  But the replacement to
*that* model now has the problem licked.  Geeze, how do you know a
printer is worth a durn if they keep replacing them before they get a
chance to develop a reputation?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

unused
He

I assume you meant that it is "now" sitting unused because the jets are
clogged.  You might try wetting a Q-tip with alcohol (not sopping, but
well moistened) and cleaning the end of the cartridge.  This often
works, I suppose that's why the manufacturers tell you not to do it.
;-)

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
says...

That works OK with HP printers---where the nozzles are part of the
cartridge.   Won't help with an Epson, where the cartridge is only
an ink supply.  The nozzles are down out of sight inside the printer.

Mark Borgerson

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I did it three time on my Epson C80 before it died mysteriously..
disassembled it, cleaned the heads, emptied the dead ink area, and cleaned
the brushes. Total time about an hour.. happened about every 8 months,
roughly.

Windex works better than rubbing alcohol. The Canon i850 that replaced it
not only has a removable head, but has not clogged since I got it.. and
makes decent glossy one-off pictures.

R C

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
In comp.arch.embedded

Spoken like someone that has YET to be affected by outsourcing.  Just wait
a while and I'll bet you change your opinion.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

wait

Actually, it's spoken like someone that lives in a country that has
strong labor laws to protect the workers.  Not like someone that lives
in the US within an "employment at will" state.  You'll have to forgive
him as he doesn't know how things work over here.  AIUI, he also doesn't
have to purchase health insurance either.

---------------------------
Dutch Labor Law

One of the most misunderstood and, consequently, unnecessarily
mistrusted aspects of doing business in the Netherlands is the seemingly
over-protective labor laws. Dutch regulations with regard to terminating
are more restrictive than those of most States in America. In fact,
after a trial period of at most two years, most employees acquire
certain rights to their job. The employer has to ask the labour bureau
or court for permission to fire an employee. The process can take months
and usually involves substantial severance pay.

Doesn't sound much like here, does it?

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

Yes. Sometimes a bit too strong...

I think I have a fair idea how things work over there. I do quite some
business with US based customers (both private and corporate) and have a few
friends that moved from the Netherlands to the USA.

Wrong again. I am self employed, which means that you have to insure
yourself, even if you don't make any money. I pay about $560 monthly for
health insurance and another $300 for insurance of income when I am ill.

The standard trial period is 2 months.

Not necessarily. A misbehaving employee can be fired instantly. A normal
procedure for economic reasons can be as quick as two months time. In my
case, 11 years ago, the procedure took the standard time of two months and
based on my working history with that company, I got a paid for another 9
months, which would end when I got a new job. And I got a "bonus" of about
$5000.
Oh, and my salary as hardware/software developer at that time was about
$20,000 annual, before income tax.

Meindert

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I haven't heard you complaining about them.

forgive
a few

That's hardly the same thing as being an American and having to fear for
your job from day to day.

for
ill.

So more than half of your before tax income goes for insurance?

seemingly
terminating

Oh boy, that's rough.  Two whole months and you basically are protected.
People here give a company 20 years and are turned out on the street at
a moments notice.  Hardly comparable.

months
normal
my
and
another 9
about
about

So you got far more than a whole years pay as severance and two months
notice?  How long had you worked for them?  Many people here get less
than two weeks notice and are not gauranteed any severance package.  In
many states they can be terminated without cause at any time, even if
they have done nothing wrong. Things are so different in this country, I
really don't think you can understand the fear that most Americans face
on a constant basis.

The common mantra here from the Canadians, Germans and Dutch seems to be
that we Americans need to accept less pay.  The problem with line of
reasoning is that we Americans are not given that opportunity to do so.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

<snip>

<snip>

what happened? did you just wake up?! AFAIK it's has always been like that
in the states! it's what you call capitalism and free market!
the laws that protect workers (as well as universal medical care, etc) in
europe are "social" laws, strongly defended by the "left". But it's a sin to
even think "social" in the states! you should really see Michael Moore's
films...

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:42:24 GMT, "Anthony Fremont"

[Stuff Snipped]

One of the biggest problems with protective labour laws are that
companies often do not want to take a chance on hiring people until
they have no choice.  When it is easy to fire someone, then the risk
of hiring someone is much lower. This often slows down the recovery
period after a slump quite a bit.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
... snip ...

It also slows down the slump after a bubble.  The problem is to
find a suitable balance.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

That is true. Unfortunately most laws tend to over react to the
problem, so in stead of a suitable balance one either get extremely
restrictive, or very liberal labour laws. Also a set of laws that
might provide a good balance for one industry, might be everything but
suitable for another industry.  The politicians also very rarely
understand much about most technical fields. What is needed is
probably more engineers and other technical people going into
politics.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I disagree.  Technocracy has generally not worked out well.  The
technologists are generally there because they prefer compliant
machinery to herding people or cats.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

Technocrats make piss poor politicians - to that I agree. But being
good at technology does not mean that one are not good with people.
Currently it seems that most politicians are good with people. What is
needed are people who are good at both. Going too far in any direction
is normallly not a good thing, including democracy.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Site Timeline