Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

A recent article in the L.A. Times detailed what they're doing.
http://www.portside.org/showpost.php?postid21%9
In PDF format:
http://www.cwalocal4250.org/outsourcing/binarydata/Outsourcing%20Ax.pdf

I thought Agilent was supposed to be one of the good companies.
They made a decent product.  One I'd be proud to own.
Now they spit on American tech workers.

OK.  I'm boycotting them.  I'm in the market for a bench power
supply.   I looked at B&K, and Agilent.
http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_searchmodel7.asp?lf=Single+Output+DC+Power+Supplies
http://we.home.agilent.com/USeng/nav/-11813.0/pc.html

Agilent looked like the better product.

But now, I just can't do it.  That could be me.  I will not
help a company that willfully targets and destroys its American
workers.  To take away someone's job and bring in a complete
foreign mercenary as a replacement is in fact a form of economic
and physical genocide.   Agilent can just go to hell.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I think you'll find that you will have to bycott most of the industry at the
moment, cause they are all doing the same. Lets face it Foreign workers are
cheaper. The IT industry has had a bashing in the last couple of years, what
with the .com boom etc, this is how they are cutting costs. Not a way to
treat loyal workers but keeps the stock holders happy :(

Bryan

--
Bryan Whitehouse - Software Engineer
Embedded Results Ltd.
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

  To take away someone's job and bring in a complete

     Foreign "mercenaries" have to eat too.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

Then let them do so on their own country's dime.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I believe that the B&K power supply I have is designed and made
ENTIRELY in CHINA by a completely CHINESE company with the B&K name
stuck on it. So who are you really hurting by boycotting Agilent?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I think, hopefully Agilent.  I'm not sure where you live, but what is
taking place in the US (at a rapidly increasing rate) is precisely what
engr said.  The American high-tech industry is being systematically
dismantled and shipped overseas.  If the companies (like HP, Agilent,
etc...) had their way, they would just bring foreign workers (H-1B's) in
to replace all the Americans and leave it at that.  However, there are
caps on the numbers that can be brought in, so the large corporations
are simply packing up and moving everything overseas instead.  Of course
they first force all the locals into training their foreign counterparts
("knowledge transfer"), then promptly toss them out into the cold.
There are no limits on this.  Meanwhile (while literally hundreds of
thousands high-tech workers are basically panhandling) the corporations
are whining to the govt. that there just aren't any qualified people
here and the H-1B caps need to be raised.  It's all a lie and it's all
about short term gains (greed).  To add insult to injury, the govt. here
screams about national security while they allow any and all corporate
trade secrets (including those of military contractors) and private
financial information to be entrusted to individuals that have 0
accountability under US law.  They are also allowing America to "give
away" it's technological advantage to countries that we barely get along
with.  Actually, all in all, it's quite disgusting.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 04:29:06 GMT, the renowned "Anthony Fremont"

It's very profitable for the shareholders, and the shareholders "own"
the jobs, through corporate management, not the employees. Employees
will just have to adapt to the new reality, just as they did when farm
jobs disappeared, and telephone operator jobs disappeared.

Personally, I'd be more than happy to help a fine company like Agilent
do just that with this particular product line, for suitable (i.e.
handsome) remuneration, of course. Their competition is already, as I
said, and it's not a product line that makes much business sense to
make domestically, IMHO.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

Oh, I know, but it's the CEO's and board members that are doing this.
In the end, it's the real stockholders (people not owning millions of
shares) that will suffer from this when the companies eventually fail
from lack of investment and R&D.  This is just another technique for
pillaging every last penny from a company.  $20 million bonuses have to
come from somewhere. :-(

How will you feel, when it's your job?  After you are in the exact same
dead-end industry.

I wouldn't be looking for the prices to be coming down on their
equipment if I were you.  I would be looking for a rapid decline in
quality as the brand name is leveraged for maximum profit.  I'm not
saying the decline in quality will result directly from outsourcing,
it's just the way things are done today in America.  The people running
the company have no comprehension of the product line (in a technical
sense) therefore they could care less about how well the equipment is
made, or how reliable it is.  In fact, I'm reasonably sure they think
you (the end user) are getting way too much value by being able to use
their high-priced equipment for so many years.  Look for this to be
corrected.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 04:51:13 GMT, Spehro Pefhany

In the short term, it's very profitable for corporate management,
since they get paid and bonused to meet certain metrics. In the short
term it may also be somewhat profitable for shareholders, though none
of these companies have had any drastic increases in dividends, afaik.
It may be quite profitable for stock speculators, again in the short
term.

The long term effects are another matter. Outsourcing to the lowest
bidder may be good long term strategy for some businesses, but I'm
quite sure that it's a bad long term strategy for many. Of course, the
folks who do profit greatly will be long gone by then, doing the same
thing somewhere else.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

But most shareholders also also employees of some company as well.
I'm a shareholder, but when I get a proxy form it's never much more
than "vote for our favorite picks, or write in your own candidate".
There's no practical way for the average shareholder to tell a
company's leadership that you're will to put up with smaller profits
in exchange for better behavior.

--
Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

Grow up and widen your perspective. This is happening all over the world,
not only in the US. And we created the situation ourselves. I mean, who
wants to pay $500 for a printer when you can have it for $69 right? (just an
arbitrary example of real life)

Meindert

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

is
what
world,
who
(just an

Grow up?  I'm 42 years old and can't find a job at any wages, much less
livable ones.  It would be one thing if I had to take a lower salary,
but instead I have to accept no salary.  At any rate, I'd rather pay
$500 for a printer that still works in 10 years rather than $69 and have
it fall apart in just over a year.  Not to mention $50 ink cartridges
that can only print a couple of hundred pages (if you're lucky).  The
cost of living is not getting any cheaper here either.  For example,
health insurance.  I'm not asking for $80-$100K per year, I'd settle for
$40K (and some health insurance) right now.

Funny how so many people that don't live in the US are experts at what
is required to live here.  The US is rapidly turning itself into a third
world country, without the benefit of a low cost of living.  Why does
the rest of the world think that all Americans are filthy rich when only
a relative few are?  The "average" American has very little disposable
income, if any at all.  Does the average executive in your country earn
100 (and in far too many cases 1000) times what the average employee
gets?  Too bad we can't outsource one of them and save several hundred
(thousand?) jobs, hopefully soon the stockholders will get wise and
insist upon it.  It's greed Meindert, not competitiveness.  Tech
companies with no R&D have no future.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:03:16 GMT, "Anthony Fremont"

     Just out of curiousity, what part of the country do you live in?
(Reply by email if you want more privacy.)  Are there a lot of
unemployed EE's there?

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

less

Houston.  There are virtually no embedded jobs available, at least that
are advertised the conventional way (computerjobs.com/hotjobs/monster
etc) unless you have a top-secret clearance and wish to work for a
military contractor temporarily.  I suppose that if you know somebody,
that might be helpful in obtaining employment.  Dallas and Austin OTOH
do have a few jobs available, but I don't happen to live there.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

I think you're exaggerating.  While the average standard of living is
probably trending downward (or maybe just not rising as quickly as
before), the US is still extremely comfortable and stable compared to
most of the world.

My personal strategy is to make up my mind whether or not an engineering
profession is long-term viable in the US, and if not, decide how to
proceed.  It might mean learning a new skill that won't outsource, or it
might mean following the jobs where ever they end up.

As trite as this sounds, I recommend the book "Who Moved My Cheese".
Don't buy it, just grab a latte and read it in the store.  Or if you
feel in a darker mood, try "The Grapes of Wrath".

Kelly

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:19:02 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"

Your real life, perhaps, not mine. I have a Hewlett Packard LaserJet
4. It has served me faithfully for 11 years and many cases of paper,
at the cost of replacing the toner cartridge twice. How many $69
printers will you go through in the next 11 years? How much will you
spend for ink?

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

world,
who
(just an

Exactly.  I have a IIIP that is about 14 years old.  It's getting ready
for it's third or fourth cartridge, I'm not sure.  It will cost me about
$50 and will be good to go for at least another 4 years.  Oh, I did
replace the fuser bulb once, that cost a whole $15 and took less than 30
minutes.  Those days of HP making quality printers are long gone.  They
are good at making crappy printers that come complete with drivers
embedded containing ad/spyware and that swamp even a powerful computer.

Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:50:35 GMT, the renowned "Anthony Fremont"

Although it's flimsy (I broke a snap installing expansion RAM, and I'm
by no means ham-fisted), I'm more than pleased with my HP1200, which
looks identical to the current model HP1300 laser. It's compact enough
to keep right at hand on the desk,  completely quiet when not
printing, super quick starting, produces perfect prints every time
until the cartridge needs to be replaced ($75 or $80 US- no advance
warning, but I don't use the HP monitor program if there is one). Both
the HP and Postscript modes work nicely. If the paper has ever jammed,
I can't remember when.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

As long as we are trashing HP, I'll second that vote.  I bought an 1100A
for $500 and found that within a year it was starting to misfeed the
paper.  I thought it was the paper picking up humidity.  Later it got
worse and I had to start hand feeding the paper one sheet at a time.
Turns out HP made a design defect on that model that fails right around
the 1 year mark at the end of warranty.  So by the time it was bad
enough for me to recognize it as a printer problem, they wouldn't do
anything about it.  There ended up being a class action suit and
everyone registered got $75 worth of discounts on new HP equipment, but
no repairs.  Like I'm going to buy more HP stuff...  :-P

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Agilent now dumping its U.S. employees -- I'm going to boycott them

ready
about
than 30
They
computer.
1100A
around

<sarcasm>You don't think that was intentional, do you?</sarcasm>

but

You could get an ink cartridge, and print 65 more pages before the blue
runs out.  I tell customers (in my panhandling job) to buy the cheapest
printer available and then when the ink runs out, just buy another one.
I wish more people would do this out of protest.  It would only cost
slightly more, but it sure would make the printer makers take notice
quickly.  The inkjet printer market is the biggest scam going now, with
printers being sold for a net loss so that they can rape the consumer on
ink refills.  The manufacturer won't even include a lousy USB cable with
many of them, too expensive.

I also paid $300 for an HP 315 digital camera for wife a couple of years
ago for Christmas.  It absolutely sucks in photo quality.  You'd think a
company that makes it's name in printing and imaging could do better.
They could, but why bother when they can make money just on the brand
name.

Too bad that engineers aren't allowed to run their companies any more.
Now the likes of used car salesmen are at the helm, and it really shows
in the end products.

Site Timeline