Advice on switching microntrollers - Page 2

Re: Advice on switching microntrollers

Why not just switch to the ATmega128 in QFN package = 9 x 9 mm.
The AT90CAN128 will give you the CAN controller.
The ATmega644 will give you at least 64 kB memory in a 7 x 7 mm QFN.
The AT91SAM7 could be alternatives, but there is no 32 KHz clock.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
Re: Advice on switching microntrollers

<yadda yadda>

sounds like a job for a dspic to me. Maybe a dsPIC30F2010. They are pretty
nice, particularly if you have pic16 experience.

---
Regards,
  Bob Monsen

Re: Advice on switching microntrollers

Well, it's a matter of not really being satisfied with anything that I
have so far.  PICs are a little power hungry, kinda large and don't
play nice with C compilers as I've mentioned.  Atmel has some hardware
bugs that are really hurting us and don't seem to be getting fixed
anytime soon.  It's been some time since I used the HC11/12/16 series
so I'm not up to date on what they are like these days.

I'm not too worried about a $1 versus a $10 microcontroller, more about
paying out the nose for support tools.  Since we do pretty unique and
one-of projects around here we're not looking for volume discounts or
large scale manufacturing.

Yeah, I have nothing against hardware timers generating PWM.  I just
don't want to resort to bit-banging in software....

Well, thye defintiely can be done using software, but the real power of
microcontrollers is having the hardware take care of the messy stuff
and the software is presented with nicely formatted data.  This is
especially important for our applications because we have so much going
on at one time that trying to manage SPI and I2C and serial (UART) and
reading encoders and generating PWM, etc. etc. would quickly swamp any
microprocessor out there that we might consider.  I'm looking for
hardware support for the various peripherals to decrease load on the
ALU and avoid having to do (even more) nasty software timing analysis.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Thanks to everyone for their advice!  I'll take a look at the ones
suggested and see what strikes the fancy.

-Will

Re: Advice on switching microntrollers

Try the 8051 series. There's a huge range of peripheral and speed options, a
range of mature compilers and other tools, and a common core.

Ian

Re: Advice on switching microntrollers
Particularly the SiLabs parts are good and have I think everything you
desire....

Bo

Re: Advice on switching microntrollers

  No 8 bit Embedded uC is going to play really nice with a C compiler;
but as you _are_ being bitten by single source, and have a wide range of
designs to cover, then you need to look at the uC with the most sources,
and most variants : The 80C51, & also 80C51 + CPLDs

  If price is "don't care", & volumes small, I'd still also look at the
ARM devices....   [they also avoid the single source bite...]

  Depends really on the SW complexity : One is a Microcontroller, and
one is a Microprocessor moving into the Microcontroller package/price space.

-jg

Site Timeline