advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

hi,

im working on a pretty big project and as usual i use emacs for code editing, but this time im starting to feel like i need something more. the thing is that i've plenty of structs and objects, etc, and it'd be great if i could get an editor that has somekind of object tree or something, like inspectiong all the includes files, etc, and then showing all the constants and defines in the tree too, functions and it's parameters, etc. Like SunOne and other advanced IDEs do with objects

i dont know if that exists, so that's why im asking you guys if you know of such a program

thanks in advance

Reply to
sebastian

Try SlickEdit,

Vadim

Reply to
Vadim Borshchev

You should at least give Source-Navigator (open source from Redhat) a try.

Jogi

--
The particular mistake will not be repeated. There are plenty of
mistakes left that have not yet been used.          A. Tanenbaum

I use ED for Windows. Extremely powerful, support for multiple programming languages is built in. I have added custom support to my copy for moto 56K, Pic, MSP430 assemblers as well as our own, company specific scripting language. Whenever I have needed support there has usually been a response within minutes despite my being in the UK and the supplier in Australia.

As with all editors, the worlds best is the one that you are most familiar with but I would be hard pressed to find a fault with this one.

S-V

Reply to
Sacre Vert

Vi(m) rules ... of course.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael N. Moran

Vi is a piece of wombat do. ;-)

If Escape Meta Alt Control Shift isn't "enough," the OP might want to look at Understand (Scientific Toolworks) or DAC (RistanCASE). SlickEdit also claims to do "C++ refactoring" (whatever that is).

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Might I suggest you read Fowler on Refactoring then? ISBN 0201485672

Reply to
Bill Davy

You may suggest it, and I might even do it. However, I have a pretty good idea what refactoring is, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out exactly what role an editor would play in the process, and whether that role fulfills the OP's requirements. My gut feeling is that it would, but I have no hard data to back that up, and no time to research it. So I gave a pointer and left it for the OP to follow it up.

OK with you?

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to
Dave Hansen

thanks for your answers, but both programs are for windows and im looking for something for GNU/Linux. I checked out Source Navigator, but it doesnt have Call Trees or CalledBy Trees to navigate the source code. It seems that something like Understand would fit my needs. Isnt anything like it for GNU/linux? GNU/Linux is developped by thousand of people around the world, so i guessed there must be such a tool as it would ease enormously the development efforts, i dont think they use Understand for windows to develop linux right? :) (It seems to come in a Unix flavor, but doesnt look to be free...) TIA

Reply to
sebastian

Try again. It definitely has those.

Depending on what exactly your preferred work style is, cscope may also be worth a try. No recursion (thus not Call Trees, as such), but you can query all calls and callers of any given function, find all uses of any named symbol/macro, etc. And it has integration into both vim and XEmacs, so you can even keep your editor.

If you want a GUI with that, check out

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Both Vim and Slickedit are indeed available on multiple platforms, including Linux.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alan Balmer

Hi,

Have you tried to search at

Almost all softwares under GNU license (specially for Linux) can be found there.

I have found quite interesting source code editors there.

Hope it helps.

Hans

Reply to
Hans Ruopp

Shame you didn't specify this at the start, would have saved the respondents wasting their time. ESP over TCP/IP doesn't yet work reliably.

S-V

Reply to
Sacre Vert