advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

hi,

im working on a pretty big project and as usual i use emacs for code
editing, but this time im starting to feel like i need something more.
the thing is that i've plenty of structs and objects, etc, and it'd be
great if i could get an editor that has somekind of object tree or
something, like inspectiong all the includes files, etc, and then
showing all the constants and defines in the tree too, functions and
it's parameters, etc. Like SunOne and other advanced IDEs do with
objects

i dont know if that exists, so that's why im asking you guys if you
know of such a program

thanks in advance

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

Try SlickEdit, www.slickedit.com

   Vadim

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

You should at least give Source-Navigator (open source from Redhat) a try.

        Jogi
--
The particular mistake will not be repeated. There are plenty of
mistakes left that have not yet been used.          A. Tanenbaum

I use ED for Windows.  Extremely powerful, support for multiple
programming languages is built in.  I have added custom support to my
copy for moto 56K, Pic, MSP430 assemblers as well as our own, company
specific scripting language.  Whenever I have needed support there has
usually been a response within minutes despite my being in the UK and
the supplier in Australia.

http://www.getsoft.com

As with all editors, the worlds best is the one that you are most
familiar with but I would be hard pressed to find a fault with this
one.

S-V

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

Vi(m) rules ... of course.

--
Michael N. Moran           (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct.         (c) 678 521 5460

Vi is a piece of wombat do.  ;-)

If Escape Meta Alt Control Shift isn't "enough," the OP might want to
look at Understand (Scientific Toolworks) or DAC (RistanCASE).
SlickEdit also claims to do "C++ refactoring" (whatever that is).

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

Might I suggest you read Fowler on Refactoring then?
ISBN 0201485672

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:25:13 +0000 (UTC), "Bill Davy"

You may suggest it, and I might even do it.  However, I have a pretty
good idea what refactoring is, and I'm having a difficult time
figuring out exactly what role an editor would play in the process,
and whether that role fulfills the OP's requirements.  My gut feeling
is that it would, but I have no hard data to back that up, and no time
to research it.  So I gave a pointer and left it for the OP to follow
it up.

OK with you?

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

thanks for your answers, but both programs are for windows and im
looking for something for GNU/Linux. I checked out Source Navigator,
but it doesnt have Call Trees or CalledBy Trees to navigate the source
code. It seems that something like Understand would fit my needs.
Isnt anything like it for GNU/linux? GNU/Linux is developped by
thousand of people around the world, so i guessed there must be such a
tool as it would ease enormously the development efforts, i dont think
they use Understand for windows to develop linux right? :) (It seems
to come in a Unix flavor, but doesnt look to be free...)
TIA

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

Try again.  It definitely has those.

<plug>
Depending on what exactly your preferred work style is, cscope may
also be worth a try.  No recursion (thus not Call Trees, as such), but
you can query all calls and callers of any given function, find all
uses of any named symbol/macro, etc.  And it has integration into both
vim and XEmacs, so you can even keep your editor.

    http://cscope.sf.net

If you want a GUI with that, check out http://kscope.sf.net
</plug>

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

Both Vim and Slickedit are indeed available on multiple platforms,
including Linux.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Have you tried to search at http://freshmeat.net ?

Almost all softwares under GNU license (specially for Linux) can be
found there.

I have found quite interesting source code editors there.

Hope it helps.

Hans

Re: advanced? source code editor ala SunOne

Shame you didn't specify this at the start, would have saved the
respondents wasting their time.  ESP over TCP/IP doesn't yet work
reliably.

S-V

Site Timeline