adsp2187L: assembler or C?

Hi, I have a custom designed board which is based on an ADSP2187L dsp, with a 512KB FLASH, a 128KB SRAM (20 ns cycle) and an FPGA running at 50 MHz.

The dsp task is mainly processing commands and data from external links (space-wire) on a 200~500 us cycle. Since the actual software has been written in assembler and there are some concerns about its reliability, I was wondering whether it is worth while considering the possibility to move to a higher language like C, in order to gain in maintainability and readability without loosing too much on performances.

Thanks.

--
Alessandro Basili
CERN, PH/UGC