Additional digits to GSM calling number

Hi there!

I hope this is the right place to ask - if not, please tell me which usenet group I should use. Also, I don't really know how to ask this so please bear with me. I am a newbie at this field... :)

I am planning on using a GSM module (Siemens TC65, but that shouldn't matter). The module should do something when someone calls it. But the caller should also have an option to enter a digit after the number and (with that) pass a parameter to the program.

So instead of just entering:

+451321324 // this is the phone number the caller enters: +4513213241 or: +4513213242

The module should be able to read "1" or "2", act appropriately, all without answering the call.

Is this possible?

I was told ISDN modems were able to "read" the additional numbers without answering the call.

Thank you for any help, hints,...

Best,

Anze

Reply to
anzenews

Of course it would matter. The module would need to have firmware support for this feature, if it was even possible.

This would be something you need to discuss with your carrier. I do not think it is directly possible. You could, however, have multiple phone numbers assigned to the module by the carrier and use the equivalent of distinctive ring to determine which one has been called. The module would need to support this.

You could also have multiple numbers _forwarded_ to the module, as the GSM protocol does include "forwarded from..." info. Of course, the module would need to support this.

Reply to
larwe

Hi,

I doubt it. Dialing in terms of GMS (and ISDN two) is done by signalling and I am not even sure that GSM mandates something like early dialing where digits are passed one by one and feetback is given on each entry. Instead, the number is dialed as a block and my guess is that extra numbers are either truncated at this point or simply lead to an error. You'll have to use DTMF commands to do what you need unless you arrange with your provider. /Roland

Reply to
Roland Zitzke

Thank you both for your answers!

Best,