Adding RAM to Cypress PSoC

I want to add serial RAM to Cypress PSoC. I'm looking for something around 4K Bytes- ( 4096 x 8) 64KBytes (65536 x 8) for < $2. It doesn't have to be non-volatile.

I'm planning on adding some RAMTRON FRAM to use a storage but my appliation needs RAM to run.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
KenLem

Yeah, in all honesty, if you need more ram on a PSOC, you need a new part. Have you looked at the other processor families?

Reply to
rickman

The part I'm using only has 512 Bytes but PSoC's reconfigurablity and features are mandatory for what I am doing. I have no option and do not wish to change processors.

I'll th> KenLem wrote:

Reply to
KenLem

I understand not wanting to change processors. But the reconfigurability of the PSOCs is a bit of a red herring. The idea is that it can be a cheaper part by letting you reuse the same hardware to do different things at different times. But just like with FPGAs, there are very few designs that can take advantage of that. Also, the price advantage of this approach can be very minimal due to the extra chip area requried to make the features programmable. But with current process geometries, processors often are pin count limited; they have to be a certain size to have the pin connections. It is not automatically cheaper to have a smaller processor with the same number of pins.

In the end it can be just as cost effective to use a processor with standard peripherals, although it will depend on your unique requirements. If you need working ram, it will be very slow to add it onto the PSOC and require some of that programmable IO which is what you are trying to optimize.

Digikey has SAM7S32s for $4. I expect in any quantity that would make a difference, you can get them for $2.50 or less. If push comes to shove, you can add the SAM7 as a smart RAM and you'll get 8 KB!

KenLem wrote:

Reply to
rickman

Rickman,

Without the reconfigurability, the PSOC would be just another 8-biter, as good as many 8-biters on the crowded market. The reconfigurability is a pure marketing feature created to raise the public interest to the part. There is no cost or performance advantages however this is somewhat different which may seem appealing.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I belive that was my point. The reconfigurability sounds like a good thing, but in the end it will only be an advantage in a very small percentage of apps. Even then it may not make the part any less expensive than a part that will do the job without reconfiguration.

Reply to
rickman

Cypress do seem to be buying sockets with extra-competitive pricing, in an effort to gain market share in the industrial segment. Their fabs are full of Ipod PSOC but they are a very minor player in industrial apps.

IIRC, Atmel did this several years ago, just before raising prices 20%

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the responses. Sometimes it's nice to step back from ones own solutions to consider alternatives.

I can see your point however I have used the reconfigurability in a number of appliations. I also like the ability to have 1 processor on my desktop that I can alter as needed instead of having to select a processor with the right mix of features from an entire family (PIC's). Plus, I have uses for the analog portion of the PSoC's such as the low pass filters.

In this case, I am using the PRoCl, which is just a PSoC with a built in wireless radio.

I haven't found another part with the same features for anywhere near the price.

What about using the RAM buffers on the dataflash for extra RAM?

Reply to
KenLem

What data flash? Have you attached an external flash?

You can find serial ram devices with lots of memory. But it will be very slow accessing it. I know Dallas makes "one-wire" devices like this and I think there are a lot of makers of I2C or SPI compatible ram.

Reply to
rickman

Oh, sorry. I've been mulling over parts and forgot to mention that I might use 8Mbit Atmel dataflash instead of the Ramtron FRAM.

?Ref=147595&Row=573852&Site=US

I wanted to use FRAM so that I wouldn't have to worry about the number of writes but if I have enough dataflash, I can just do my own wear leveling.

Hmmm... Not a big Microchip fan but I see they have RFPics. I wonder how they compate to the PRoC?

Reply to
KenLem