AD: SpeakJet, SP0256-AL2's and Video Generator IC's

SP0256-AL2 Speech IC SV1000 Video IC SV2000 Video IC Magnevation SpeakJet IC TTS256 TTS Companion chip for SpeakJet

*** NEW ITEM *** Tigerbotics SpeakJet Development Board

The Tigerbotics Speech Development Board is specially designed to support the Magnevation "SpeakJet" Speech and Complex Sound Synthesizer chip.

The board provides a quick and easy means of getting the chip operational for both experimentation and development of advanced applications. The board is a "stand-alone" and complete solution to SpeakJet development. Its on-board circuitry allows the user to exercise the chip both manually using push-button switches and LEDs as well as remotely by connecting the chips ports to external controls or a microprocessor.

All the features of the SpeakJet chip are brought out to external terminals to provide total flexibility and convenience in any application. The board comes completely assembled and tested and employs the latest in Surface Mount Technology (SMT). The compact size afforded by SMT construction provides a very compact unit that is suitable for both development and installation in your final application.

Thanks.

Reply to
KenLem

I used that SP0256 twenty years ago! Surprised its still around. Actually is was really easy to use and sounded pretty good too. Don't think anything out there are replaced it either.

Reply to
diggerdo

In message , diggerdo writes

I agree they were (are) pretty nifty. I had visions of making my fortune supplying a plug in module to go on the back of a Spectrum computer, but engineering and marketing skills don't always go hand in hand. As a result I still have about 40 unused SP0256-AL2's on the shelf.

If anyone wants one please contact me. I'm looking for about £7 each inc. p&p in the UK.

--
Graham
Reply to

Yes, the SP0256-AL2 can still be found. Of course, the speech quality is pretty rough compared to what you can do with a PC. I've been using the SP0256 for awhile now so I've gotten pretty used to the quality.

I have a free Windows program that emulates the SP0256-AL2 and the CTS256-AL2 on my site. The audio quality is even worse than a real SP0256 however it's fun to play with.

There is a new speech IC called the SpeakJet that has a larger phoneme set and can do music and sound effects. It's the only Speech IC I know of in production. While the Winbond WTS701 sounds pretty good, it's expensive and Winbond has discountinued it.

Reply to
KenLem